• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

AMPS or IPMS members?

iambrb

Hey are any of youse-guys (y'all here in the South) members? I had such a good time at the Columbia AMPS show I have seriously considered joining, and flirt with the IPMS membership sometimes too.

Do you enjoy being a member?

What benefits (if any) do you reap?

Has it helped with your modeling and if so, how?

I was an AMPS member a few years back, their magazine The Boresight (free with membership)is well done and has lots of useful information. Being a member gets you a discount at AMPS shows and some vendors and hobby shops extend a discount on their products.

I belong to an IPMS club, but have never been a member.

I'm a member of IPMS USA as well as the Orange County (CA) IPMS chapter. I am also a local member of the SoCal AMPS group here, but I let my AMPS National membership lapse.

I find that I have improved in my modeling skills; I've learned how to judge and I'm able to support local contests with that skill and knowledge. Learning to judge models using both IPMS and AMPS-style judging has also helped tremendously with my modeling skills too. I'm still not all that great, but I have learned how to make models that are more pleasing to myself. They occasionally even win something now and then! :blink :D

One great benefit I find is the great camaraderie and friendships I have in both groups that I have fun with and who all help me to improve my skills. Otherwise, I also find that some hobby shops give me discounts due to my membership in these organizations; and the chance to go and participate in an IPMS Nationals contest is another wonderful benefit in my opinion.

Once in a while, one or both of my groups will arrange free attendance at some local (and sometimes not-so-local) museums that the club pays for.

Back