• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

A get together with MA members!

bob letterman

Master at Arms
Staff member
On October 5th, Susan, me and the dogs set out in our van and headed south! We hadn't been to two of our favorite Southern cities in years and decided to go back for a visit. We headed first for Charlottesville, Virginia, overnighting in Louisville, Kentucky along the way. We drove through the Blue Ridge mountains and arrived that day! It was even more beautiful than we remembered it. Spent a couple of days there just walking with our dogs and having some great meals! Here is a photo of their downtown mall, one of the few successful downtown malls in America. It is blocks long, shaded with trees.

Then back on the road, through Virginia to Richmond, then down I-95 through North and South Carolina to Savannah, Georgia. This is probably the best walking town in America, with it's grid of little squares and antebellum mansions that surround them. Walked along the riverfront district with it's great little shops and restaurants.

We took a day trip to Tybee Island, on the Atlantic shore, beautiful beaches, but, like another southern state, the beaches aren't dog friendly, so we didn't stay long!

Then we headed for Spartanburg, South Carolina, a relatively small town where we were to meet up with three Modeler's Alliance members that we have known for years but never met in person! Moon Puppy, (Bob Britt and my make-believe son), was there to greet us as we walked in the "Chief's Wings and Firewater" restaurant! Bob is exactly like I thought he would be! We got along immediately and he has a wide range of interests and a great sense of humor! Susan popped some photos!

Then came Phantom II, (Christian Lacroix). He was born in Belgium and came to the states at age 13! Susan and I have spent a great deal of time in Belgium, so much to discuss there! Once again, A great guy! Here is a shot of the four of us!

Then Adam Baker and his lovely wife Joy were the last to arrive. Adam was born and raised in California and moved to North Carolina later in life. Joy is a true southern belle! We all had common threads which made for great conversation! And we talked, and we talked, and we talked........ :yipee

We spent the greater part of the afternoon eating wings and appetizers and swigging brew! Susan and I had a great time and one we will remember. I tried to talk all three into coming to Missouri for a visit to the museum. Not happening soon but we'll see!

We all parted company late afternoon as all had to drive home. We were staying at a hotel about two blocks from the meeting place. It is nice to have a face to put on names that we have known for years!

Then, all good things must come to an end, so the next morning we headed home, overnighting once in Clarksville, Tennessee. The next day we entered a very foggy St. Louis at around 2PM. Anyway, Be it ever so humble and all that stuff...........

Bob

Great to see a MA get together. Maybe one day some of y'all will make it down to the Bayou State. :yipee

It is always a lot of fun meeting the folks that you have been chatting with on the internet. Am really looking forword to the next time I head to Tulsa as there are a couple of MA members there. Eventually I would love to swing by and visit the museum up in St. Louis. At some point I need to go up to Kansas City to visit my brother and that is right on the way from Memphis. :laugh:

That's awesome. I'm glad you guys had a great time. Whenever I've met up with Bob we always have a good time!

Only wish everyone could have come. Promise, if I hit the lottery it's a big MA Meet and Greet at Dad's place. Think he's got the only work bench big enough for all of us. :yipee I gotta get the pictures off my phone and get them posted here. Be back shortly

I had a great time meeting up with everyone. I planned on eating lunch there but we got so caught up in conversation that I ate less than half what I ordered (I know, half of what I eat would feed a family of four... :rotf )

Dad you talked me into going out west, it's just a matter of time when we can do it. :drinks

Only wish everyone could have come. Promise, if I hit the lottery it's a big MA Meet and Greet at Dad's place. Think he's got the only work bench big enough for all of us. :yipee I gotta get the pictures off my phone and get them posted here. Be back shortly

I had a great time meeting up with everyone. I planned on eating lunch there but we got so caught up in conversation that I ate less than half what I ordered (I know, half of what I eat would feed a family of four... :rotf )

Dad you talked me into going out west, it's just a matter of time when we can do it. :drinks

Son,

I talked you into going out west???????

St. Louis is 1800 miles east of Los Angeles! Not exactly like you'll need a covered wagon! :yipee

Jeez!!!! The lower half of Missouri fought with the south! Can you say Bloody Bill Anderson? Bill Quantrill? Frank and Jesse James? Maybe Josie Wales?

We're talking about 700 miles from Greenwood! Piece of cake! I just did 2500 miles and I'm 73!

Dad

Here we go!

h7d00de8.jpg

Mom Dad and the pups :mpup

h6f1211f.jpg

No bowling shirt but check out the hat!

OK, head west then. You gotta remember, around here folks from North Carolina are suspect yankees...:rotf

sure nuff, we'll come. We just have to plan on getting all y'all Midwest MA'ers together somewhere. :drinks

We had a great time, and it was an honor & a pleasure to finally meet you & Susan in person. After we wrapped up and everyone headed out, when we got in the car, I was blown away to see it was almost 6pm, haha. I'd been looking at your watch on & off Bob, and it never once occurred to me that your watch would be set to central time, haha. I was thinking it was like 4:30 when we got done, haha.

Definitely hoping next summer we'll be able to make a trip to the midwest, w/ a layover in St. Louis.

Only wish everyone could have come. Promise, if I hit the lottery it's a big MA Meet and Greet at Dad's place

Will hold you to that statement! Hope you are prepared to fly two Aussies over there???!!! business class of course!!!

Great to see this thread!

Bonza Mates!!!

Let's see. In St. Louis there is me and Susan, Wes Bradley, Gordon Stronach, Chris Merseal from CRM hobby shop, one of the great hobby shops left in the country! Joe Hudson, Mr. T, (Terry Barrow), is not that far away. Tony Lee lives in Springfield, maybe he could make it! There are also some former members we could maybe coax to come and rejoin! I'm sure I can think of more!

Hell Yeah!!!!!

We had a great time, and it was an honor & a pleasure to finally meet you & Susan in person. After we wrapped up and everyone headed out, when we got in the car, I was blown away to see it was almost 6pm, haha. I'd been looking at your watch on & off Bob, and it never once occurred to me that your watch would be set to central time, haha. I was thinking it was like 4:30 when we got done, haha.

Definitely hoping next summer we'll be able to make a trip to the midwest, w/ a layover in St. Louis.

Hey Adam, I always leave my watch on Central Standard time! Great to meet you and Joy as well! Yeah, we spent about four hours in there. I was expecting them to come and ask us to leave any moment! You and any MA members are always welcome to visit us and the museum. Just please give us a couple weeks notice!

Bob

Great to see a MA get together. Maybe one day some of y'all will make it down to the Bayou State. :yipee

Gator,

We get down around "Nawlins" almost every year! We have lots of modeler friends there plus we love the area, Bay St. Louis, Gulfport and Biloxi!

Bob

Hello Bob and Susan . What a great visit that was . A real pleasure and honor to finally meet you .

The great stories definitely made the afternoon fly by.

Speaking of CRM, I bought some sanding sticks from him a while back. Best I've ever had . Descent prices and lightning fast service . Definitely an old school hobby shop ! (y) (y)

Hope to do something else before real long .

Cheers, Christian B)

Hello Bob and Susan . What a great visit that was . A real pleasure and honor to finally meet you .

The great stories definitely made the afternoon fly by.

Speaking of CRM, I bought some sanding sticks from him a while back. Best I've ever had . Descent prices and lightning fast service . Definitely an old school hobby shop ! (y) (y)

Hope to do something else before real long .

Cheers, Christian B)

Hey Christian,

It was great to meet up with you as well!

The stories, Yeah, well, I got a million of 'em! :yipee

CRM is the classic old school hobby shop. He has stuff I don't think he knows he has. What a place to burrow around and find all those gems!! He's also honest as the day is long and believes in great service! Susan swears by his sanding sticks. She uses them on her nails!

Bob

Back