• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Fort EBEN EMAEL [part 1]

reconron

So what's fort Eben Emael and why I am so excited about it you might ask...

Well,fort Eben Emael in Belgium was considered by military experts to be the strongest fort in Europe,some say in the world up to May 1940 untill it was put out of action by one of the most SPECTACULAR German airborne raids of WW 2.
German paratroopers landed on it's roof with DFS-230 gliders supported by STUKA dive bombers,and knocked out it's main defences with in 18 minutes using a then newly secret weapon;hollow charge explosives.
The Belgian troops inside the fort surrendered with in 36 hours however.

This time I will show you the outside of this HUGE fort situated on a hill,in part 2 I will show you the inside[the cooler part].

Ok,here we go;

The main entrance;[yes the tank is post WW 2]

FEE_1.jpg

FEE_2.jpg

FEE_3.jpg

FEE_4.jpg

FEE_5.jpg

FEE_6.jpg

FEE_7.jpg

FEE_8.jpg

FEE_9.jpg

FEE_10.jpg

FEE_11.jpg

FEE_12.jpg

FEE_13.jpg

FEE_14.jpg

FEE_15.jpg

FEE_16.jpg

FEE_17.jpg

FEE_18.jpg

FEE_19.jpg

FEE20.jpg

These domes could be turned upwards to shoot the guns inside them.[some are fake to fool the enemy]

FEE_21.jpg

FEE_22.jpg

FEE_23.jpg

FEE_24.jpg

Can you imagine how they could land gliders on the roof?I can.See the people on the left side of the picture.

FEE_25.jpg

FEE_26.jpg

FEE_27.jpg

FEE_28.jpg

FEE_29.jpg

FEE_30.jpg

FEE_31.jpg

FEE_32.jpg

FEE_33.jpg

FEE_34.jpg

FEE_35.jpg

FEE_36.jpg

FEE_37.jpg

FEE_39.jpg

FEE_40.jpg

FEE_41.jpg

Coming pictures are not mine;...You have a great view over the river Maas[Meuse] Albert canal and the surrounding area on top of the roof.

4508016-Looking_out_over_the_Meuse_from_Bloc_01_Eben_Emael.jpg

The very succesfull glider used for this raid;the DFS-230 [this is a model]

DFS-230.jpg

Diorama of the fort Eben Emael,in the 1940's there were much lesser trees then nowadays,the guns in the fort HAD a clear view of fire!

FEE_diorama.jpg

German Paratroopers of Sturmabteilung Koch after the fall of the fort;

FEE_Sturmabteilung_Koch.jpg

Stay tuned for PART 2 wich will give you a look inside this mighty fort...

Greetings,Ron.

Thanks for the pics Ron! i'm looking forward to a visit there someday, that thing is HUGE!
Just to bad they didn't have more AA protection, that would have made it more difficult for the germans.
//Mats

Thanks guys,I appreciate it that you appreciate it. :laugh:

@Bagge:Mats,there were just 4 heavy machineguns in trenches as anti-aircraft defence divided over the enormous top of the fort,
they never would have thought of gliders landing on the roof.1 glider landed just 5 meters from a machinegun post and was destroyed in seconds,think it was the only glider put out of action on top of the fort.

If everything goes well,I will visit the inside of the fort this weekend.So stay tuned for Part 2.[the cooler part] :)

Greetings,Ron.

Good for you Ron, great pictures. Its very easy to take it for granted that we are surrounded by recent history in europe so its nice to see individual sites in detail like this . Cheers mate (y)

Back