• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Faded SBD 4

moon puppy

Administrator
Staff member
1:48 Hasegawa SBD-3 Dauntless, Quickboost SBD-3 Dauntless Engine Set, Quickboost SBD-3 SBD-5 Dauntless Exhaust (HAS kit), Ultracast SBD Dauntless Seats

Just ordered this from SprueBros

I've not had much luck with Accurate Miniatures so

sbd3.jpg

I fared well modeling a picture of the Belmont Belle so I figure I press my luck. Will try to find more info on this aircraft and who those guys may have been.

The Accurate Miniatures SBDs were awesome as were the TBM/Fs. Looking forward to the build. Maybe learn something from you for my build.

Found someone else's research.

https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?370606-SBD-Dauntless-(US-Navy-dive-bomber)&s=f83085c0c2794c1a01fd62a254633828&p=3211169&viewfull=1#post3211169

The poster is doing a computer image model of our SBDs. Amazing what they go through to get their images right.

I don't agree with him about some of the points of where the fade dead paint is, it's not oil, but where crew rub against the side and the leading edge of the stabilizer.

According to his research these were Marine birds stationed on Midway. That explains the sun baked fading.

Hat tip to Mr. Jaworski for his research.

You might want AM flaps or to charge up your drill as I'm nearly 100% sure the Hasagawa flaps don't have the lightening holes drilled out.

VMSB-241 received their first SBD-2's on Midway on 26 May, flying their first mission on 04 June. The aircraft in the Life pictures are replacement SBD-3's received after the battle.

VMSB-241 was organized into two flights during the battle, one with the "new" Dauntless and the other the SB2U-3 Vindicator they were sent to replace.

I've got an AM SB2U-3 in the stash I might have to break out for this.

Cheers,
Rich

(Apologies if I've rained on your plans.)

Funny...I had heard that Life spread of photos was done right about the same time as the battle...in fact the one has been my sig pic since I'd first seen them. Also-- notice in these two shots (one the same as yours)- the inside wing color looks more like the red it ought to be...makes you wonder which pic is colored more correctly...

460479db49f197c5ed97a842019b4f84.jpg

eff4c2344f05cbdc7f3df704143faf8b.jpg

Considering both models were present at the battle, and that scheme-wise, these were pretty much identical to what was there I am inclined to say yes go ahead Bob- looking forward to it brother!

Think those were originally color photos. "Life" didn't play. I strongly suspect the cameraman was riding in number 3. There's a series of these photos.

Since I already dropped a couple of Dimes on this I'm gonna build it, if it's here or on Wesendorf Field doesn't matter. :pilot

ha8c2836.jpg

And I have ordered some flaps. I'm not drilling out all that and I sure as hell ain't getting the Eduard flaps.

Love seeing all these SBDs!!

Wish I could join in but I've already done SBD-2 and -3 Midway birds in both 1/48 and 1/32 ;)

Sprue cut!

Slight surgery started.

h47014e6.jpg

Got those great looking flaps from http://www.armahobby.com/

Of course Saul knows them... :facepalm :rotf

A little flash needs to be cleaned up but other than that they look great. I hope to get some work done on this this weekend, next couple of week are going to be wide open.

I'm workin' on it!

Took Stoneboat's suggestion and drilled out the top of the rocker covers since it's not going to be seen anyway. Will insert the push rod covers down there once I get the cylinder head painted.

h0161be3.jpg

:soldier

Back