• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Campaign for 2017- Midway

Jeeves

Next year is the 75th anniversary of the battle that was the turning point in the Pacific. I have a large scale Buffalo with all the whistles that I'd think about doing...

Definitely loads to represent- USN, USMC, IJN, IJA ships, planes, and some armor methinks in the invasion fleet...

I might have that same Buffalo kit but have not seen any bells and whistles for it. One of the build options for it is a Midway based fighter from 1942.

Three letters:

S B D

As you well know, I've got tons of references if you need them- including an amazing book specifically on the SBD at Midway...

Just a short mail trip downstate ;)

I may take you up of that Mike, but I might just pick your brain or ask for recommendation of the best of the lot.

I've been a sucker for that battle since I was a kid, I remember going to the movie in the theatre (then again a few years later in 'Sensaround') and even then being pissed that they used footage of a Hellcat crashing that was supposed to be a Daunt.

I can't resist any book on Midway, there's something so compelling about the battle. So desperate, so decisive and could've gone either way if it wasn't for a lot of luck. I'm really surprised I don't have a SBD ref in the library. I must have 20+ Tiger books.

I remember building the Monogram Devastator kit way back before seeing the movie and was 'devastated' by their fate.

Wildest thing was how a handful of carriers made such a difference, but by wars end we had 97.

I might have that same Buffalo kit but have not seen any bells and whistles for it. One of the build options for it is a Midway based fighter from 1942.

There's resin in the kit- for me, that's bells and whistles ;)

Jeff- this is the book I was talking about- well worth the cost if you're a fan like me...

http://www.ipmsusa.org/reviews/Archive/Books/Aircraft/Midway_SBD-3/Midway_SBD-3.htm

Throwing this one back on top since we are so close to getting the quota ;). This battle kind of started back towards Coral Sea in May 75 years ago and took place during early June...

Throwing this one back on top since we are so close to getting the quota ;). This battle kind of started back towards Coral Sea in May 75 years ago and took place during early June...

True, but I think the impetus was the Doolittle B-25 Tokyo Raid. Count me in with a A6M2 Zero. I'm not a religious person, but I feel there was some divine intervention involved. Gary S.

Awesome Gary- go ahead and add your yes to the poll which brings us to 8!

Great news Chris- all sorts of variations to choose from...-2s and -3s...Twin rear guns and single...Different bomb loads

h289a77a.jpg

B)

I think we are two shy Gary but I was hoping for an April or May start....Maybe I start generating a reference photo thread it'll get some interest...

OK- with Gary's vote to be applied yet, we are still at just 8...so I was thinking of posting some possibilities for folks possibly on the fence-- despite this being an important carrier battle, there are plenty of other options out there for this one. Other than the USN carriers Yorktown, Hornet, and Enterprise and IJN carriers Akagi, Soryu, Kaga, and Hiryu- there were tons of others ships in the fleets-- light carriers Zuiho and Hoshu; IJN seaplane tenders; IJN battleships including the Yamato; heavy cruisers such as the Vincennes, Astoria, Mikuma, and Mogami; light cruisers like the Atlanta and Nagara; destroyers like the Hammann, submarines, oilers, and minesweepers.

Aircraft-- USN included Wildcat and Buffalo fighters, B-17 and B-26 land-based bombers, PBY-5A patrol planes, Devastator and Avenger torpedo bombers, and Vindicator and Dauntless dive bombers. IJN planes included Zero fighters; Rufe, Jake, and Dave floatplanes, Kate torpedo bombers, and Val dive bombers.

I am finding it difficult to find out much on what sorts of land-based vehicles or guns the Japanese had as part of the invasion fleet, but I would assume there would be some sort of support vehicles. I will keep looking...and will post pics this weekend as well.

Dont forget about the land based planes on Midway itself as well as the tanks etc that was at the garison on Midway

Back