• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

The Duke's Latest Automobile.

Duke Maddog

Along with the other models I finished, I have this one. It was a military designated vehicle, but since it is not camouflaged or anything and was used by a civilian, I'm showcasing this car here.

This is the Roden 1/72 scale Vauxhall D staff car. I built this as the mount used by King Charles to tour the front during WWI:

Vauxhall_D_Car_I.jpg

Vauxhall_D_Car_II.jpg

This was a tough little kit to build; the parts are molded so thin that they broke easily if handled wrong. It had a devil of a time getting this to sit straight and/or line up. The front wheels are super sensitive, you look at them wrong and they fall off! That's how delicate the axles are molded. This does build into a fantastic looking little model though, I'm thrilled to have this in my collection.

I did add a bit of road dust to this but for the most part, I kept it as clean as possible. I'm happy with this one. Now to get the Vauxhall ambulance!

That's all for this one, feel free to check out my latest aircraft and armor as well.

Thanks for looking in, comments are welcome.

Thanks Bob. I may have gotten the King's name wrong but the British King from 1914-1916 took a tour of the Western front in that car during WWI sometime around 1915-1916. At least according to Roden he did; it was detailed in the history section of the instruction sheet on the front page.

Thanks James! I am so used to it that it feels so normal. Building larger kits sometimes makes me uncomfortable. Thanks again for the compliment.

Yes, Frank; cars too! LOL! :drinks

Of course, to be counted in my collection, they need to be in 1/72 scale. (y)

Thanks for the compliments!

What an unusual little build . Don't recal ever seeing one before.

The Vauxal is still being produced but it looks a mite different now :rotf

I'm currious just how much mud would have been accumulated in the wheel wells . Seems like the mud is the thing I remember the most about WW I stories I have read.

Congratulations on your choice (y) . Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks Christian! I appreciate the great comments. I am glad Vauxhall is still around. Too bad they don't make a model of a more modern one in 1/72 scale; I could do a "then and now" build.

I believe a lot of mud accumulated under those fenders during the wet season. I didn't add it because this was King George's ride and they would have kept to paved roads and maintained it as clean as possible. Thanks again for the great compliments!

Thanks Stoneboat! It is something different. After all the models I've done; it's getting more difficult to find something different in my scale !LOL!

Back