• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Canadair Lawn Dart

Stoneboat

Well after six months the Lawn Dart is finished. This model began as the BPK 1:72 Canadair CRJ200, but after much modification it morphed into a CRJ705. This is what the 200 looks like:
011_zpsgiuguyxz.jpg

The fuselage was lengthened by two wooden plugs - one aft, the other ahead of the wings - to make up the 20 or so feet difference in length.
002_zpsey7mfcd3.jpg

007_zps3fza1x4y.jpg

The scientific method of ensuring that everything lined up straight:
003_zpsgacsacyb.jpg

003_zpsqkgczoaz.jpg

Then the wings had to be changed from the 200 double delta to the straight leading edge of the 705, and lengthened:
005_zpsb4atyhic.jpg

The horizontal stab was lengthened:
009_zpsndhryupl.jpg

The vertical fin was modified a bit at the bottom by the addition of a nostril intake:
005_zpska0ncmld.jpg

Then the engines were cut up and new exhaust cones were added:
006_zpsktcjbrdh.jpg

A new tailcone that incorporated the APU exhaust was added:
010_zpssphaopb5.jpg

And finally a new belly fairing was incorporated.
035_zpsbjaxqq9f.jpg

A few licks of paint, some excellent decals from J-BOT ant she's done and dusted, on her way to Calgary as we speak.
002_zpsb9hyogok.jpg

003_zpskiwnb8rr.jpg

005_zpseqzmvwks.jpg

006_zps3zacgr8t.jpg

007_zps67uv2cyi.jpg

008_zpsai4scqhn.jpg

013_zpsnuxnpadm.jpg

Thanks for the kind comments fellas. Much appreciated.

That's just gorgeous! What did you use for filler after the wood extension?
Pup, I covered those wooden stringers with .010 plastic sheet, glued to the wood, then glued more .010 sheet over that. Filled up the cracks and everything with a product called Kombi spot putty, which is a kind of acrylic. I find it doesn't shrink as much as Bondo. What I should have done is simply made the furshlugginer plug the same size as the outer fuselage diameter. Never thought of it until John on Swanny's suggested it. Doh! :facepalm

I just opened the box on one of those Revell 1:48 Beech 18's. It'll be on floats, I found a set of Otter floats in England, believe it or not, traded the guy a liter of maple syrup for them. The Otter floats are Edo 7170's and those on the 18 are 7850's, so it will involve adding a plug just ahead of the step. Here's the airplane, it's another one for the Yukon Air Force in Whitehorse. Bob has a fleet that I've built over the years, including 5 Norsemen, but he gave one away to one of the pilots on the only flying example of the Martin Mars, who flies a Norseman for a fishing club in Manitoba now that the Mars is pretty well grounded.
c-fhza_1_zpshg1v8b0t.jpg

Holly Molly! Your CRJ is a STUNNER! Ol' Tom Bly is looking on, from on High with glee!! :v :notworthy (y) :ro: :dude :drinks :salute :yipee

Thanks guys. I will admit there were a couple of times I felt like chucking the thing in the garbage but sanity prevailed.

Uros, did you get any crud in the cockpit of yours after you buttoned it up ? When I drilled the holes on either side of the windshield center post for the windshield wipers I used a # 78 drill and got a tiny curl of plastic on top of the cockpit glare shield. I shook the model a couple of times and it fell into the cockpit somewhere. It's out of sight, anyway.

Well, the model arrived in Calgary yesterday, and wonder of wonders, in one piece. Not even an antenna out of place. Here's a shot from last evening on Mike's model shelf...
JAZ%206_zpscgdm22mf.jpg

...And a couple of shots of 'the fleet' The fleet is all 1:72 - Matchbox Twotters in Air BC and Borek titles, the -8 from Hobbycraft and the CRJ200 from BPK.
Mikes%20fleet%203_zpsqdosdhol.jpg

Mikes%20fleet_zpst3twgy7t.jpg

Wow, another beautiful model from you! I love it! The fleet looks amazing to!

I've put a sheet of styrene on the back of the cockpit, just like you did. Fortunately, everything stayed dust free.

Back