• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya LaFarrari 1:24

paddy

Well it's taken 55 years but i finally own a Ferrari, albeit a rather small one :)
In my efforts to be diverse i have gone as far away as i can from my last F4U build which was dull,faded and oil stained.to high gloss clean and polished, metals are now carbon fibre and engines have gone from 24cyl radial to V12....
Obviously i don't want to do a red ferrari ! so it came down ,after a lot of searching, to either white or Yellow.
Well white has won on the basis that the interior for a white car offers more interest/scope than a Yellow car which would have a basically black interior.

I found a car for sale in Saudi that will be a good role model being a special order for a customer with red leather interior trimmed in white

So white it is. I am going to add a slight twist and use a pearl white to add a bit of depth to the colour or in this scale it will look like i left it in a white undercoat :). Disadvantage is the whole thing is molded in Red plastic
so will take some very careful masking and colouring to stop the whole thing turning out like lady Penelope's rolls royce :) shocking pink.
a couple of upgrades are available for this kit from Tamiya, a carbon fibre decal sheet that now i have it, looks like a non starter and a small PE sheet with wire mesh grills to replace the rather strange kit supplied clear parts and mest decals ???
I have also ordered some resin brakes because the kit parts don't look up to much with the calipers moulded into the discs.
I will call out the after market parts as i go.

Off to the model shop now to try and find some Tamiya fine surface primer to cover that red plastic....

Great choice Paddy. I had to 'settle' for the RoG kit which is less detailed but not as big an impact on my wallet. White with red interior is such a classy combination, I'm planning the same with my 458 and '68 'Vette.

Looking forward to this one.

Ian.

To cover the red you might try a medium to light grey primer. It should cover the red nicely then the white will cover the grey much easier. Also a flat white with gloss clear will cover better than gloss white.

These supercars are such that most of us will never see a real one. Have reached a point where I don't think I would own one if I could afford it.

Will be watching Paddy! I am sure you will do a fab job on it! (y)

:popcorn

This is the Tamiya Carbon fibre decal sheet , it's an extra and not included with the kit.

First impressions are not good but we will see how it goes. these templates all look rather precise to me, I have some plain CF decal sheets and i think it might be easier to cut way oversize and trim in situ rather than get these to fit especially once they have been pushed into shape on compound curves and so on.

This is an after market kit of resin brakes and PE made by Hobby design. Looks to be pretty good so it will be a welcome addition i think. Aircraft builder who have got used to the type of detail Tamiya splash out on their modern kits would be a little shocked i think to see what car modellers have to put up with. Basic is the term i think :)
Anything you can add yourself is only going to help.
No excuse now i have all the bits.
Currently looking at adding some plug leads to the coil packs, i will update once i have done so.

And the ferraris are taking over the joint! Although I am partial to red myself... :drool

Looking forward to this one Paddy!

:popcorn

I made a bit of a start, putting off the carbon fibre decals as long as i can...

Engine is very basic, nicely moulded but the whole thing is a dozen parts

I painted it gloss alloy and then matt coated it and gave it a light wash based on black. Rocker boxes were painted red and i added some plug leads

The air intake will sit on the top of all this and hide a lot of it

but next i need to get the CF sheet out and try and put a decal over this

The whole thing is about 2 inches long.

Tamiya makes fine looking car kits and all the parts actually fit (compared to all the American model car makers). :good:

Well i take it back, Tamiyas way of doing CF decals does work.

There are 12 separate decals involved here, the part is tiny and seems to attract dust faster than i can wipe it off but you get the idea. This has a gloss coat on now as well. The Tamiya metal badges were a bit of a nightmare and i had to stick them on with super glue, they are only 1mm tall and the glue on them is just not enough to hold them in position. The chrome clips are strips of bare metal foil.
Looking at the decal sheet there are 125 CF decals to go...............

Yeah, not sure I'm looking forward to doing all the CF bits on the Matech FGT. :blink

Coming along nicely here though. :good:

Back