• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Something totally different! .....and red

Skinny_Mike

[video width=425 height=344 type=youtube]WAlHlaWjWyo[/video]

I have no idea why, but for some reason, I have been itching to build a car model. I currently have 6 kits in my stash. Three of which bare the prancing pony logo. All three have some sense of history too them;

he682862.jpg

h32c53a4.jpg

h37df47b.jpg

I am going to start with the 330P4, the dominant car at LeMans, until the Ford GT arrived which, in and of itself is an amazing story!

Start will be a little bit slow while I finish up my CTA3 build, but I am excited to get running.

Mike

I have the Fujimi 246 aswell, but with the full displayable engine. I sold my 330 before we came out to NZ and often thought about getting another... Looking forward to seeing what you do, Mike and can I recommend that when it's time for paint, you get a hold of Tamiya's 'Italian Red' aerosol, it sprays beautifully especiallly if you warm the can in a bowl of boiling water first. It's what I used on the 250 SWB...
:good:

Ian.

I have the Fujimi 246 aswell, but with the full displayable engine. I sold my 330 before we came out to NZ and often thought about getting another... Looking forward to seeing what you do, Mike and can I recommend that when it's time for paint, you get a hold of Tamiya's 'Italian Red' aerosol, it sprays beautifully especiallly if you warm the can in a bowl of boiling water first. It's what I used on the 250 SWB...
:good:

Ian.

I actually have the color matched Zero Paints from Hiro Boy for both the 250 and the 330. Curious to see how different the reds can be :hmmm . I'm just going to use the 250's red for the 246. The 250 has a full engine that I am hoping to detail and leave the hood off. But that is all details for a later time...
:yipee

For me, the 330 P4 is one of the most beautiful cars...following with interest :popcorn

Luiz.

Yes Luiz, yes they are....

h3af88c0.JPG

Not certain but I believe this (British registered) car is the one owned by Nick Mason of 'Pink Floyd'.

Ian.

Hello everyone! I have spent a little time working on my Ferrari 330P4 in between painting the YF-23 and I thought I would share a little progress. I do not model cars very often, so please, any advice will be greatly appreciated!

I know one of the biggest deductions for car models is not having all four wheels on the ground. And the wheels make up the foundation, so lets start there. Fugimi have provided the four wheels and the spinners as a chrome plated sprue. Oddly though the spare wheel is not chrome plated and is on another sprue.

Post_1_1~6.jpg

Fujimi was nice enough to place the sprue attach points on the back side of the wheel, which would prevent ruining the finish in a noticeable spot, but the spinners would be a little tougher. I decided to strip the chrome anyway. After stripping the chrome plating we have some more white plastic.

Post_1_2~5.jpg

In most of the photos I’ve seen of these cars the wheels were either a dull aluminum color or gold. I chose to go with Semi-Matte Aluminum, using Alclad. So after priming and paint all 5 wheels match.

Post_1_3~4.jpg

I’ll likely add some air valves after I get the tires on.

I also spent a little time cleaning up the body shell. Unfortunately the kit is cast in white plastic, which makes it very hard to find all the little imperfections.

Post_1_4~4.jpg

I sprayed a gray primer coat using Ammo’s One Shot primer in gray, then I sanded off all the mold seam lines and any other imperfections I found. After that was done I polished it all down using a set of micro mesh polishing sheets.

Post_1_5~3.jpg

I’m in the process of adding all the parts to the body (the fit is terrible!). After that is completed I’ll shoot another coat of primer.
I do have a question for those of you that do car models. The tires all have some flash at the mold part line, which runs right down the center of the tire. Anyone have a trick or advice on the best way to get ride of it? The arrows in the picture below show what I am talking about.

Post_1_6~1.jpg

Not a lot done, but enough to have kept myself busy! Thanks for checking in, and like I said up top, I don’t do car models so any advice is greatly appreciated!

Mike

Great start Mike, the fujimi kits build up into great models but require a lot more work than the Tamiya kits which are pretty well ready to go. the plus side is they do some great subjects that Tamiya don't do like that 330 P4
Watching with great interest :)

I do have a question for those of you that do car models. The tires all have some flash at the mold part line, which runs right down the center of the tire. Anyone have a trick or advice on the best way to get ride of it? The arrows in the picture below show what I am talking about.

Post_1_6~1.jpg

Others that build cars more may have different/better ideas, but I just use a medium (or fine) sanding stick and work it across in a diagonal motion. You can use coarse, but you have to use very light pressure or you stand a chance of tearing chunks out of the tread. I have also used sandpaper/film laid on the workbench and scrubbed the tire that way...but I prefer using the sanding sticks now.

This also gives the tires a "scuffed" finish that would be representative of being driven on.

Others that build cars more may have different/better ideas, but I just use a medium (or fine) sanding stick and work it across in a diagonal motion. You can use coarse, but you have to use very light pressure or you stand a chance of tearing chunks out of the tread. I have also used sandpaper/film laid on the workbench and scrubbed the tire that way...but I prefer using the sanding sticks now.

This also gives the tires a "scuffed" finish that would be representative of being driven on.

Thanks Chris!

I tried that way back when I was a kid on some NASCAR models. It worked well for the racing slick, wasn't sure how it would work for a treaded tire...

Mike

It works, but can be a bit slower going because you have to use a finer grit to avoid shredding/chunking the tread blocks.

Hi guys. I finished the body work for the 330. All the parts are added and blended in. I also finished sanding out the primer coat. The little wings on the front are photo etch that is included with the kit. They were impossible to bend and even harder to get to affix to the plastic. Who wants to take bets on them getting knocked off? :unsure:

Post_2_1~8.jpg

Next step is another shot of gray primer to see what I missed. The YF-23 is just about done, so this build will probably start picking up some momentum this week.

Darnit! Just knocked off one of the wings! :bang head

See you all soon
Mike

Back