• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Wright Brothers Chevy

ij001

hfb787e8.gif

Raced in the 2003 'The Winston', and possibly one other race, this is one of the rarer of Jeff Gordons many 'special' schemes on the #24 Monte Carlo. First time I've tackled one of the later Revell kits with the much simplified construction and pre-painted windows.

Nothing to take photo's of just yet, only opened the box this afternoon and quickly 'bolted' the block together. Not sure what I'll use for the body colour - maybe one of the excellent acrylic aerosol paints that I bought in the UK from Halfords before we left.

Stay tuned and find out, after a word from your local stations.

Ian.

OK, starting shot:

h423c12a.JPG

Two coats of Xtracolour enamel 'ADC Grey' - my colour of choice for NASCAR interiors.

I mentioned before that this kit is much simplified in the construction and very 'soft' in detail. Have a look at the insides here - almost complete with just five pieces which (virtaully) snapped together, compare this with the Pontiac I'm wrestling with at the moment, the cage on that build is complete and took ten individual pieces which are all warped and most too short in length.

I like simplified builds, means I can get to the 'fun' part sooner.

Speaking of which:

hac7b735.JPG

hb9c7456.JPG

Acrylic white primer from Halfords in the UK - the biggest car accessory chain in the UK, and a fantastic source of good quality and cheap aerosol paint... I do miss that over here. Two coats and the outside is done. I was going to use their 'Volkswagen Silver Grey' as the main colour, but on checking the tin, there may not be enough, no worries, I have an assortment of Tamiya acrylics in the stash to call upon.

Thanks for taking the time to look and/or comment. More when the 'real world' allows.

Ian.

Two coats of Tamiya 'Silver Leaf' straight from the rattle can

h54fd5be.JPG

hd85c539.JPG

Looks good to me, but as you can see it's dried 'satin' not glossy, so will need a couple of coats of Klear/Future before decalling.

Thanks for taking the time to look and/or comment - more soon.

Ian.

Made its' way back to the bench today.

Progress is self-evident, the silver has had three coats of Humbrol Gloss Cote (sic), each one polished back before the next. The cowl & skirts are Tamiya acrylic matt black and the air dam (again Tamiya), sprayed an orange/red mixed using my preferred 'Mark 1 eyeball' method.

hed4af72.jpg

h0577ee7.jpg

I'll be taking this to Cambridge show next month to do the detail painting, if you're passing, please call in and have a good look at it then if you're interested - Whaddya mean an 11hr flight from LA is too far for a model show :D . Thanks for taking the time to look and/or comment.

AFN

Ian.

Sweeeet looking Monte Carlo.
Love that paint scheme. That is cool looking. Makes me wanna do a Gordon car.( I have ALOT!)
That silver is pretty slick.

Tim

Sweeeet That silver is pretty slick.

Tim

Thanks Tim
Tamiya 'Silver Leaf' straight from the rattle-can. Superb coverage, I've got their Mica Blue for the 1995 'Rainbow Warrior' Monte Carlo, hopefully it will go-on just as nicely.

Ian.

It's not the 11 hours, I can do that standing on my head, it's finding someone to pay for it. :rotf

Looking good Ian. :popcorn

The photo at the beginning is of a die-cast. I'll be using the Slixx Decals sheet, hopefully without the same 'issues' that I had with the Pontiac earlier this year.

Ian.

Back