• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Academy King Tiger

iambrb

Ok so this will serve as my pkace holder on this kit:

http://www.academy.co.kr/eng/1p/1p_plaview.asp?pView=PLA0000003&pCode=823&pScale=SCALE00001

aaaaand:

I am posting this as the kit is not actually in my hands as yet. YES, I know that this does not qualify as a late production it is more like mid-production, but should be a fine subject all the same!

I am choosing this as I am very keen to the try the weirdo Octopus camo...will start the build as soon as she arrives!

That Octopus cammo sure was interesting (y)

I agree! I have read several reviews all of which state it is a pretty good kit, but misses the mark in that it is not a late production model a mid-profuction at best, but i am good with that

ORyFGV2.gif

It's here!

Have a question about the octopus camo stencil...

So am I suppose to paint the darker colur 1st, then apply the decals, then after painting the lighter color, peel them off? Ther are very small...isn't that going to be hard to do without damaging the lighter color?

From here, those look an awful lot like decals, so no peeling involved. Paint your camo scheme and add decals. OR, you can add donuts of blue tack as masking for the rings and peel them off. Build it and you'll figure it out. B)

The rings go on after you've painted the Dunklegrun/Dunklegelb camouflage. On a couple builds I've seen, the rings were hand painted so the rings match the Dunklegrun and because the decals looked too perfect. Others have used the decals and thought they looked spot on.

Cheers,
Rich

OK so I had a day to myslef before the new job, and spent most of it with my wifey, but along the way got some time to get this rolling. here is my proof that I did not start early

And as you can see, I got most of the turret complete. Have not done anything with the track or brush holders as I am not sure if they are correct or not. I also at least think that the last models lacked the MG so for the moment have left the ring off until I know "fer-sher." Note that it hasn't shown from China just yet, but I have a set of correct late model tracks in route, will just hang onto these others for another build.

if you decide to build this, really go slowly. I found that the directions often do a poor job of picturing what you are building, so parts mixups are easy to occur. Also, although the directions give you choices on some parts, it does not tell you which are correct for a lst production series tank, or if it matters, so I was forced to just make the best judgement, and roll with it. I have also dee-cided to go with a tank commander figure, but the ones with this kit are not very good, they are soft in detail and vertically split (???) so I have some Tamiya figs on the way, so the commanders hatch is left off 'till later.

So here we are! This one is going to require a bit more attention to detail and some other bits, as opposed to the last two Academy kits hat I built that went together very easily, but that is OK, so far it is an enjoyable build!

Looks good so far, Bruce. I'd suggest finding some reference photos of a vehicle you want to use as inspiration, that will lay to rest the questions of correctness. Find a photo, plan the work, work the plan, have fun along the way.
:eek:hyeah B)

Back