• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

PART 6 COMPLETED BUILD Mk7c/41 U-Boat Diorama 1945 [Revell #05045 - 1/72]

Brokeneagle

Master at Arms
Another project I am fiddling with is a Revell 1/72 scale MK7C/41 U-boat - late model. This will represent the Revell kit 'built out of the box' as a final model Mk7c. The following late war details are represented on this model:
- Atlantic Bow, Plank deck, Turm IV CT configuration, 37mm anti aircraft weapon on the lower platform, no deck gun, snorkel fitted during construction without the additional external pipe on the Right side of the CTower or the lower pipe at deck level on the Port side of the CTower, exhaust cover, 4xlife bouy containers and no forward external railings on the foredeck.

I have already built the early version for a collector years ago when the early version first came out, and have been waiting to do the late version(my favorite) for myself. This model will serve 3 purposes as it will allow me to test my water creation and painting on a 1/72 in preparation for a 1/35 scale early version, provide a nicely detailed Late war u-baot as a good shape and surface light reference for future paintings of u-boats that I am planning to do and allow me to create water line u-boat model for display in my collection.

1. Butchering the full hull model.

This was not an easy decision but one that I had to go with to get that 'U-boat at sea' look. As I mentioned I have already built a full hull version and still have an early version in storage that will be done as a full hull, so this made my decision a little easier.
I started by building the actual hull as per the instructions, just in case I changed my mind. Once I decided I went ahead and looked at some references to determine the waterline at sea and cut the top of the model away from the lower hull at the appropriate place. For this I used a Dremmel tool with a thin cutting wheel and then ground off and smoothed the melted edges with a stone sander head piece.

IMG_0867.jpg

As you can see underneath the model pieces, I have chosen a thin piece of custom board as the water base. This will be mounted onto an attractive piece of timber at a later stage.

comp1.jpg

I marked-off the U-boat shape with a lead pencil and went about chiseling out the shape - but not all the way through!. I initially went around the edge with the chisel, hammering vertical cuts as a straight line all around the shape, to provide the initial depth. After this I used the chisel to 'scoop out' the material from the centre, starting at the rear, and also working out from the edges with a digging motion. The custom wood is quite easy to work with which I why I wanted to use this as the base surface.
I went down about 3-4 mm so as the sub would sit nicely and allow me to sink the rear a bit more than the front. I have also tipped the boat slightly to the left to give it drama as it will be under attack from the air.
IMG_0876.jpg

I embedded the sub into the wood and fixed it into place wit High strength White Glue. This was also useful to allow me to fill in the small trench surrounding the hull. I used a palette knife to get the glue into the trench and flatted out, without it going up the side of the hull.
At this point I have not added the anti-aircraft armament.

Till next time :snoopy

Ian.

Last edited:
I am watching! I had a similar idea with the 1/350th scale sub so this is of great interest.

My plan was to have it suspended with clear plastic (clear packaging material) 'sea' so as to show the surfaces above and below.

also in that plan was to paint the hull first and then use high strength white glue to fill gaps (as you did) but keep the translucency and shine when as a wet watery look when the glue dried.

Regards,

:) Hello guys,
thank you Laura, Saul, MP, James and Mike. I need encouragement on this one as it is the most difficult dio (for me) I have done for years.
A little update on my U-Boat.
I am really enjoying the challenge of sculpting the ocean but it's very hard to get a realistic effect. The putty cracks as it drys in some places and I am having to go back and fix these areas currently as well as continuing on in small batches of water.
I am progressing in batches as the putty dries too fast here (It's summer) and I need it damp to get the effects with a brush and sculpting tools.
Here is some progress shots - I have done more but have not taken the photos yet.
The u-boat itself is still unfinished and the conning tower is not glued on yet.
LATEST29JAN2012.jpg

EXPLOSION 1.jpgIMG_0881.jpgIMG_0883.jpgPUTTY1.jpg
I am enjoying developing techniques that are new to me and the real challenge is the water splash along the hull and from the bomb blast. As you can see I have only done the base of the blast - I am trying to figure out how to do an authentic column of water still.
I have ordered a Beaufighter in 72 scale that will be flying over. I looked at a number of aircraft and I think the twin engined fighter bomber will be most suitable and was famous as a low attack aircraft on land and coastal sea areas.

See you soon for the next update.
Ian.

Last edited:
water with putty? that's completely new to me ... why not trying styrofoam? easy to handle, easy to replace and easy to repair ...

here's a sbs of making a complete styrofoam base, maybe it's inspirational and helpful to you: 1/400 DKM Leipzig

Hi Laura,
I considered the foam but I wanted to work from a dead flat base up, as a waterline display. This will keep the base very thin, which is what I want.
The modeling clay on the smooth wood also gives me good control over the subtle effects that I am trying to get. I did not want to end up with a typical foam water look though. I am trying to achieve the same standard as lewis Prennau's water in his fabulous 'Capture of the U-505'. That dio has been my aiming point for 20 years and I have only just got the courage to try to get the look of his water in 2012!
I emphasize trying here.

MP- that might have worked too. :mpup

Excellent stuff, Ian! I hear you about the dead flat base, I had a time with my well and getting the foam to stay level. Drywall spackle or joint compound is easy to work with, but if you get thick areas, it can crack as it dries. The clay sounds like a good compromise and I am quite sure you'll show it who's boss! (y)

UPDATE
Hello MA,
I have been working away steadily on my water for the u boat and would like to share my progress with you.
I went about covering the whole base in modeling clay first to enable the 'ups and downs' as well as forming the wave shapes and splash. This was really difficult! However with difficulty comes reward and so I am thoroughly enjoying the challenge of sculpting and working with the clay over a large surface. After the clay sections dry I then go over them with modeling paste and form the surface texture. I can go over my techniques and materials used at the end of the construction phase if the effect works out and people are curious to know how.
IMG_0898.jpg
IMG_0899.jpg

IMG_0896.jpgIMG_0897.jpgIMG_0906.jpgIMG_0909.jpg
TOOLS_zpsdf9d6815.jpg

See ya next update!
Ian.

Last edited:
:mpup
Thank you Laura, MP and Mike.

Another Update - the main clay is done and I am now doing the detail on the surface.
I have purchased a 1/72 Frog TF.X beaufighter as the attacking plane.I have almost finished building it and will post it next - the fit is awful - I haven't built one of these old kits for years!
:(
It's awful :soldier on.
There are a few photos below so if you are interested in the texture there is plenty to look at.

IMG_0914.jpg
IMG_0915.jpgIMG_0916.jpgIMG_0917.jpgIMG_0918.jpgIMG_0920.jpg

Last edited:
Back