• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

BROKENEAGLES: Me109G2 Eastern front late 1942 1/32

Brokeneagle

Master at Arms
BROKENEAGLES 1

This will be the first of a series of perfectly good planes that I will render 'unflyable' to match photos that have caught my attention from my reference library. I particularly enjoy the lines of the Me 109 and will favour this type of aircraft, but that's not to say that I won't do others or even model some weathered but flyable planes as well.
I have been secretly 'harbouring' a need to model some 109's for quite some time and have built up a massive stash of planes and accessories supported by reference material.It's now about to hit the fan one way or another. ;)

Me 109 G2 JG3 EASTERN FRONT 1942

Untitled.jpg

HASEGAWA 1/32 G4/G2

This scene will be a departure for me from my tank scenes but I will be applying my single vehicle dio approach and hopefully achieve some visual excitement along with it. This particular photo interested me for a number of reasons, not the least being the rifles sitting on the wing and the fact that the pilot walked away from a mainly undamaged plane - great piloting you gotta say!
This gave me an idea to have some soldiers standing either with the pilot or guarding the plane for pickup - maybe even a horse. The dirt in the field with sparse grass also looked attractive.
The plane itself seems to be an early G2 with features common to the F series - basically it's an F body with the G canopy and engine. Even the super charger on the G2's could still be the same as the F. The wheels were still the small type as on the F model with the spoked hub, this meant no bulges on the wings to house the larger shape. The larger wheels were introduced on the late model G's. Even the machine gun cover on the upper nose still used the earlier F design - nicely supplied by Hasegawa.
IMG_0358.jpg

I used some nice updates from MDC and Eagle Parts.

IMG_0359.jpg

IMG_0360.jpg

I have also separated the tail stabilizer to angle it off as in the photo and this also gives it more visual excitement and 3D than a moulded one.
IMG_0350.jpg

I replaced the spinner for the very nice Eagle Parts but slightly damaged the MG outlet - I will need to fix that. :(

IMG_0351.jpg

IMG_0353.jpg

The canopy is very nice but very difficult and would only recommend for and advanced modeller.

G2cockpit.jpg

IMG_0357.jpg

IMG_0356.jpg

IMG_0355.jpg

IMG_0354.jpg

IMG_0363.jpg

IMG_0364.jpg

IMG_0349.jpg

I used the MDC exhaust pipes that have nicely moulded open ends and the all important weld seam along the top.
IMG_0361.jpg

IMG_0362.jpg

Nice start Iam , this looks to be a very cool scene .......

Surprisingly little damage for a belly landing !!!

:popcorn will follow this, nice to see something else than shiny planes ready to take off (y)

Excellent work so far Ian, I hope that you don't mind but I replaced the thumbnails with full sized images while I fixed one of your links.

Regards,

Very cool. This will be fun to watch. Black Dog makes some control surfaces for the 109 and 190 also.
James

I have always wanted to tackle one of those canopies!

:popcorn

See another problem. IE is not automatically resizing the images. :bang head

eastern front? hmmmmmm ... that reminds me of the beerbomb ... should be a good reason for me to get me a nice bf-109 kit just to build the beerbomb configuration!

i can't wait to see more of your magic with this build ian! the canopy looks most fab!

Beer Bomb...Bier Bombe...?
Now THAT made me curious,...Curious enough to Google it. :D

http://www.modellversium.de/galerie/bilder/9/8/7/1987-26534.jpg

Never knew a thing about it... :woohoo:

Great build,so far Ian! (y) (y) (y)

Greetings,Ron.

Ah...here we go...

http://www.ghostgrey.gaetanmarie.com/articles/2010/Modification%20XXX/Modification%20XXX%20-%20Beer-carrying%20Spitfires.htm

See another problem. IE is not automatically resizing the images. :bang head

Yep, that's my issue - it looks as though my only way out is to put in a resized image but I can't reach the edit button as the photo size has draggedthe text and the button offscreen. MP Could you please have the original first photo deleted and I will then be able to replace it with a smaller version so my text can be read.
:unsure:
Also while I am in edit mode my text runs off screen to the right and the only way I can counteract this is to swipe it to the right?

Please Help?

On a different note thanks every body for following the post and leaving your notes..... (y)
:silly:
- a beer bomb :eek:hmy: is that for real?
- Glem no problem :laugh:

Ian

Yes, thanks mate that's done the trick. I will have to keep the photos below 800 wide I think.

Hi Ian,

If you use the Reply tool bar and click on the image icon, you can specify 750 in the first textbox with the second having the URL location of the image. This will bring all your images to the size indicated.

When I put 750 in them, some images display larger and others display smaller even though the original size is preserved. For example, if you go to the Modern-Retro thread I posted, the images are VERY large but display at 750 pixels wide. Should you save the images and open them up, you may note that some are over 3000 pixels wide.

The last benefit to mention, if using Firefox, is that one can right click on the photograph and choose "view image" which then displays at the original size.

Regards,

Back