• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

STUG 3 G EARLY (REMIX) ON A FLATCAR

Brokeneagle

Master at Arms
:silly: ONCE UPON A TIME ON A FLATCAR
As promised in my cancelled thread in the Copy the photo' build, I have moved this thread to here so that I can be a bit free with my details. I always end up doing this and very rarely copy a photo exactly because there always is something I want to add or change but the general idea from the photo drives the whole thing.
OK, I was motivated by a series of pictures from PANZERWRECKS 6.........

bwref1.jpg

This stug really grabbed me for a number of reasons.....
Damaged.
No drive wheels
open transmission covers
Dirty
no tracks
covered in T34 track
on a flat car

I really wanted to make use of my new Dragon STUG3 G but it was an early version and this is most probably a Nov 44 version. The Dragon kit is a perfect base for a stripped or damaged tank, as all of their more recent releases over the last 2 or3 years have been detailed in places where noby ever bothered before (LARGE PLASTIC KIT MANUFACTURERS). The detail can now be found underthe track guards, behind the drive housings, inside the tank, under the floor etc, etc. So I really wanted to make use of this detail and have some real modelling fun.
I am also a fan of rail so a flatcar and all of its 'stuff' was an added bonus. My long term plan for this is to add a number of flatcars and carriages and my 3/4 finished BR52 and create a railyard scene at the end of the war in late 1944. We shall see how we go - I will keep my fingers crossed.

INSPIRATION SHOTS
FROM PANZERWRECKS 6

bwref3.jpg

bwref2.jpg

The STUG 3 G
The dilemma I mentioned above was easily solved by going with
- a retro-fitted early G that has been kept in the field with a Saukopfblend cast gun manlet (standardised nov 43)
- spring loaded travel support for the barrel
- but running the bolted front 80mm armour.
- The dragon kit has the earlier pattern straight welds on the rear deck
- but the frontal superstructure additional bolted armor typical of post April 1943 onward.
I then started looking for photos that would support the later mantlet retrofitted with the earlier bolted add-on armour .......and a bonus a late spring loaded travel lock as well. I wasn't concerned with the zimmerit as I have plenty on photos of early Stug 3 G's without zimm but with the added armour.

bwref5.jpg

OFF WE GO....
IMG_9187.jpg

All the good gear including some metal track and scalwerk nuts and bolts plus a VP front interior.
I removed the interior rear detail from the engine bay area to fit the Calibre 35 stuff.

IMG_9182.jpg

IMG_9186.jpg

IMG_9165.jpg

I found a few nice shots of the chassis without the drive housing etc and saw what needed to be drilled out.

bwref7hull.jpg

backgroundfrontdrive.jpg

This was one of the main reasons for using the Dragon kit because it had that nicley detailed machined steel face found under the front wheels.
I will need to putty up the joint after the drilling etc.

BACK SOON WITH WHEELS ADD SOME MORE RESIN. ;)

This will be so Freakin' sweet..... :woohoo:

Might have to start a G as well, they just look so good.

This site will help.

http://dishmodels.ru/wshow.htm?p=1022

Pete

It looks like I'm about to get a edumacation with this build, can't wait for the next installment B) B) B)

Tom

Thank you everyone for posting and reading as welll as the great Positive vibe :) Keeps me motivated.
Sorry for the delay but I have been really working long and hard on this one so I have a lot to show you all. I really beaten this sucker up and have thoroughly enjoyed every minute :evil: I just need to upload all the pics. :(
First though back to where I left off................
I have roughed-up the front plate and added some small hits as well as taking out a couple of bolt heads out of the armour plate. I saw this in a pic from Sturm and Drang and thought that it would add some more character.

I have also removed the sprocket ring from one of the drive wheels to give it more detail and allow me to take advantage of the kasten separate sprokets that I had hanging around. Even the backs of these wheels have great detail so you have to make sure that you drill ou the detail on both sides.

IMG_9207.jpg

I worked on the wheels ,delaminating their surface, as this is an old vehicle by late 1944 [when my scene is set]. Formore detail on delaminating tank tyres please see my latest masterclass post. ;)

Back with lots more real soon..... :pinch: :silly:

Very cool Ian! I always enjoy following your builds! Note to staff: For those skimmers (like me), could we highlight somehow the additions to the Master Class posts, so they get noticed easier? :cheer: (oops, after reading the Master Class article, I guess it made it to the main page about a month ago? :blush: I said I tend to skip around!)

Thanks Mike, James, Tom and Stug.

Rudi,
too much to do yet. I haven't been able to completely finish my 17cm and I was thinking of entering that from last year.

Ian.

B) UPDATE
overallIMG_9304.jpg

G'day TnTers, I have been working steadily on the construction of this stug and I am really loving it so here is an update.
I added a front bar to the front plate to slot in the T-34 track - feild fitted.

Top front plate finished with bolts missing - I just need to add a glancing blow.
;)
Weld added to the breach as well as removing the saftey guard and basket, but drilling the holes where it was fitted.

Turned metal barrel (Armorscale)added, no muzzle break - I cut the base collar off the plastic Muzzle break and added it - that way I have a complete muzzle break assembly for another Stug.

Added a bolt to the drive plate(I saw it in a photo like this :) )

ENGINE BAY
I removed the nuts from a Tamiya Stug3 and used them in the Calibre 35 Engine bay.The Resin engine bay is OK but it has some rough areas that need attention. As you can see I had to crack my fan surround to get it to fit, even after sanding down the underneath. It's ok though because it disapears once the rear deck plate goes on - the vertical fit was very difficult as I think this was made for the Tamiya kit. THE REAR PIPES THAT FEED IN OVER THE INNER REAR PLATE ARE STILL TO BE SCRATCHED UP. The rough surface won't matter to much as I will be putting dirt and grease etc in there anyway.
This vehicle will be modelled as having the engine removed as part of the recovery. This allows more detail to be seen in the engine bay.

TRANSMISSION
Thisis still in process along with the rest of the interior.

MORE EXTERIOR DETAIL SHOTS OF BRASS AND STUFF TO COME.............

Ian,
Looks great... I really love the mix of German and Soviet armor
on the rail cars... Do we know who was loading them up?
Were they being sent off for scrap or where they being sent to
be repaired?
There are a million questions I would have for this.
I think the dio idea is super and I will be following it too.
Shawn

Back