• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

17cm Grille Trumpeter (Gerwertz Tammener update)

Brokeneagle

Master at Arms
I was working on my 17cm Grille over 2009 and have taken a rest recently. I am now planning to finish. My latest update is to the ground work for the gun cradle display.
The DAS putty has been put down with stones and now I will add the gass etc.
Then paint the base.
IMG_9158.jpg

and where i got up to last year on the old forum.......................
The front plate has not been attached as yet.

IMG_8303.jpg

IMG_8355.jpg

IMG_8445.jpg

IMG_8341.jpg

insanely cool ian! just insane!

so beautiful!

you see me deep down in the dust, admiring your phantastic and exceptional work!

:) Thank you moonpuppy and Laura,
but really it is always just a hair from being quite crappy when you experiment. I suppose thats what makes it fun. Thanks for the creds (though I feel they should be directed at someone else) :blush:

I will forge ahead and try to have thisfinished before expo this year in June. :(

Ian.

I think you touched on something about weathering. When I weathered the F101 Voo Doo I did a while back I got to the point that I thought I had over done it. When I posted pictures people said that I nailed it. Now they may have been being nice to me but when I look at it now, I think the same thing, it does look pretty good. Point is, successful weathering (heavy weathering) may well be just a hair away from being crappy. knowing where that line is makes it a great weathering job. That and in my case, only posting the best pictures... :mpup

moon puppy wrote:
I think you touched on something about weathering. When I weathered the F101 Voo Doo I did a while back I got to the point that I thought I had over done it. When I posted pictures people said that I nailed it. Now they may have been being nice to me but when I look at it now, I think the same thing, it does look pretty good. Point is, successful weathering (heavy weathering) may well be just a hair away from being crappy. knowing where that line is makes it a great weathering job. That and in my case, only posting the best pictures... :mpup

Moonpuppy, yes knowing when and picking the best pics....it all helps. ;)

Snipersmudge - I will have to have a look. You will enjoy the kit as the build is great fun.

Saul and Mr B - thanks guys appreciate your posts.

Ian.

snipersmudge wrote:
I am actually working on the same kit myself at the moment!

Try to find Ian's original build thread as it is chock full of good stuff!

Regards,

Amazing job on the weathering... :ro:

This would have been one scary piece of hardware to run across if it had ever got into battle.

Thnaks Randy and Tanktrax, as Saul nicley commented my build on the old site is fairly exstensive so if you ever build one I have pointed out a few of the 'pitfalls'. :)

:laugh: Finally finished the Cradle scene. Yaaa. I was a bit tired of it.
Here's way to many photos.

cradleandbarrell.jpg

The cradle had some scratch work done to align it to the photo more.

The base unpainted with DAS putty ground work,various stones and silfor buffalo grass (Autumn tone)

IMG_9371.jpg

IMG_9158.jpg

I have had to use some 'artistic license' when creating this scene because the actual position of the barrell was too far to the left to fit on a compact scene. The figure is also in adifferent position and I did not feel like re-modelling this excellent pose.
IMG_9438.jpg

IMG_9482.jpg

Whoa! Holy Cow! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: That is incredible! (y) (y) The figure looks strangely familiar, though. :laugh:

Brokeneagle wrote:

with this pic sir you deserved the honorable title of "master of desaster"!

that's so ubersupahdupahawesome looking! only true masters like you can acchieve results that perfect!

:) Mike, Krisof and hood - thanks guys. Glad you liked it and thanks for your comments.

Laura, :blush: thank you. I really Apreciate your passion for models. B)

Ian.

UPDATE ON THE BODY - ENGINE BAY.
Once I finished the cradle I shifted back to getting the Body completed. A major stalling point for me has been the updating of the engine bay area.
This has proven to be more difficult than I thought. The cooling fans do not sit equally apart when trying to match them to the upper body openings and the rear firewall detail.
I had to hack away a certain amount of the fan assembly to get it to match the hole position, however this is detail that will be hidden once I have the top back on.
The inclusion of a VP KT motor and engine bay walls just added to my problems. The ENGINE BAY WALLS HAD TO BE MODIFIED SO THAT THEY FITTED A FRONT VEHICLE POSITION AND NOT A REAR WITH A SLOPING PLATE.
I wanted to use these because of the added detail (see photo in base primer below) but the thicker walls caused issues with fan fit.
IMG_9409.jpg

I then found that once I adjusted the walls to finally sit right horizontally , they effected the vertical fit of the front plate.....adjustment again.
After all of that I found the VP engine top half that I was originally going to use would not go into the space because of the pipe end details I had added around the engine bay walls,
so I went back to the Trumpeter kit engine and modified this to a build up state.
This was visually more interesting and allowed me to fit the motor in though the pipe detail because it does not have the pipes on the sides yet. (see below)
As the lower portions of the motor will not be able to be seen once it is in, I did not spend any time doing any elaborate painting there, only on the upper top face detail.

I used pieces from the VP disassembled engine to detail the 'butchered' Trumpeter motor. I thought the exposed Rockers would be an interesting piece of detail to be seen through the engine bay hatch.
This also fits with the photos as well showing lots of cooling pipes and other stuff lying around. I must say though that I was quite impressed with the plastic injection detail that Trumpeter had done with the kit motor.
I also took this opportunity to try out the new MIG Grease paint that I picked up a couple of weeks back just for this purpose. Very good product and is actually a semi liquid inside, so be careful when using.
Dont try to smear any paste out of this tube, rather use it like a jar of semi-liquid and dip your brush into the tube- give it a shake first before you take off the cap.
IMG_9462.jpg

I am now working on finishing the workshop scene with the chassis, so I will post on this topic again when this has been completed.

Ian.

Back