• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/35 MENG PICK UP w/ ZPU-1

Brokeneagle

Master at Arms
B)
HELLO MAer's,
I am reviewing the Meng pick-up or 'Technical' as they are commonly known.
I am really happy that these modern civilian vehicles are now being modeled by the injection companies as they are fresh topics and can be modeled in a variety of ways from Modern war zones to post apocalyptic dios as well as other weird subjects as I intend for this one.
The model does not mention what vehicle the kit is modeled on but it seems to look like a Toyota Hilux model between 85 - 95
IMG_1070smaller.jpg

As you can see it gets a nice box cover that has a silky matt feel that presents very well. Once you open the box the layout of the packaging is again presented well and the whole kit has a very 'cool' B) feel.

IMG_1071.jpg

The kit has 7 sprues, a special separate box for the cab moulding (4 door), 2 PE sheets and rubber tyres.

IMG_1095.jpg

The instruction sheet is simple and easy to read with some great pencil line art images of what you can do with your pick-up. The color profiles for painting are also very clear and sharp - basically you can paint it any color you like.

IMG_1091.jpg

The figure that comes with the kit is quite nice, depicting a generic Lebanese looking character - sculptured very well too.
The cab is very sharply moulded in white plastic, and on first glance came across to me as quite small because of the years of modelling 35 scale German tanks, which are some much bigger than a modern car or even 4x4.

The dashboard is nicely done as well and just detailed enough to look good
IMG_1084.jpg

Wheels

DECALS
IMG_1090.jpg

SEE YOU SOON FOR THE BUILD -UP.

Nice to read that you got it and will start it! Post apocalyptic is fantastic...

Don't forget the photo review I posted, feel free to use any of my images:
https://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/news-reviews-and-shows/96207-photo-review-of-mengs-35-scale-pick-up-trucks#96229

Regards,

I can't wait to see the next post with pictures :popcorn
Great choice Ian! :ro:

All the best!
Dusan.

:laugh: :laugh:

Hi Ian , ....... well all I've got to say is , ......... this kit plus what's brewing inside your melon , equals an extremely interesting and way cool project !!!

...great model(an interesting subject too)...hope to see another masterpiece from yours ;)

Best!

Luiz.

:)
Thanks for the interest everyone.
My progress so far...............

The Chassis is the build -up of parts from steps 1-6, the grey interior is about half of step 8.
The construction of this kit is very basic but you really need to make sure you look at the diagram to locate the position of the parts correctly. In particular the front shock absorbers, A6 & A5 in step 1.
The whole chassis is modeled in black plastic which is great for painting but I'm not a big fan of this color for a model, as it always seem a bit weird with the glue.
Easy model to build so far and fits just fine.

:mpup
UPDATE

I have finished building the body and only have the heavy machine gun left. This has it's own sprue sheet modeled in black. The vehicle was very easy to build and the inner and outer body shell assemblies fit like a glove. There are PE parts for the mud guards that look good but are very difficult to glue in place and I wonder what the purpose was rather than using thin plastic.
The model was pretty basic but a good representation of a modern 4x4.
Easy to build. My only complaint would be the fact that the doors are not made to be modeled open as they are modeled shut from the mold.
The headlight holes still need the black backing to be painted silver which are then covered with nicley detailed clear covers which include the diffraction patterns and just need some clear colored paints.
The tyres are well represented in size and shape and actually look the part once positioned on the model with the hubs - unlike a lot of the 24 scale car models I have built over the years - well done Meng! :)
The other aspect that was strange to me[as i have stated previously] was the size. This is by no means a fault or inaccuracy but do not expect a large model as can be seen in shots below next to a stug 3.

IMG_1150.jpg

IMG_1153.jpg

Cool stuff, Ian! I sure would like to see you back on the StuG too!! :D :drinks

Thanks Mike.
The Stug is a very long in the tooth build that I will have to post up at MA in the near future

I suppose seeing something in scale that we are familiar with shows how big those armor things really were.

Looking fine! :soldier

THE FINAL PIECE

Hello everyone,
i finished the final stage of thi review with the machine gun mounted on a 3 leg swivel platform.

The detail is good but the PE is too fiddly for my liking. Barrel and mounting detail is portrayed very well and there is more detail in this gun than in the whole vehicle.
The black plastic combined with the small parts makes it extremely hard to see what you are doing. I have good eyes and very good lights and this was still difficult. The assembly is broken up into some difficult parts woith the seat in particular having to glue to a much lighter small bar of straight sprue with no support.

IMG_1159.jpg

SUMMARY OF THE MENG PICKUP.

Detail - medium over the whole kit with an increase for the weapon.
Build - vehicle fits well and is easy to build. MG is difficult and not all parts sit properly.
Accuracy to subject - The model seems to be quite accurate and looks the part when finished and sitting on the wheels. The wheels are scaled well and do not let the vehicle down.
INSRUCTIONS
Easy to follow with a few minor difficulties that can be overcome by studying the drawing.
POSITIVES
- Easy to build
good figure supplied.
nice wheels
accurate in shape
Drawbacks?
- I found the kit to be a little too basic with details such as the doors molded shut.
- Black plastic made details to hard to distinguish during construction.
- no accessories such as modern equipment or Jerry cans.

Excellent work Ian!!! :ro:

Btw that Stug... real beauty! :kiss: :woohoo:

All the best!!
Dusan.

Thanks to you all for your interest and posts. The Meng is done and I am now ding my second review -
M-ATV from KINETIC which will appear shortly.

Iron Mike and Dusan,
I will dredge up the Stug from its grave and get the thing finished - thanks for the motivation as I was just keeping it on the shelf at this point.

Ian.

Back