• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

A Hasegawa Omelet - Complete

Skinny_Mike

Hi guys! Haven’t been around to much lately but I have been doing a little more building as of late just not posting much. Time to change that. I have a few of the Hasegawa egg planes in my stash so why not join in the fun. A few weeks ago, I pulled out the Zero Egg and got started, let’s get caught up.

Here is the start up photo.

Pic1_1~2.jpg

These things are pretty simple, typically put the fuselage halves together add the wings, paint and landing gear. The do not seem to have the best mold quality though, big seams and generally poor fit. I usually do try to do a good job though, as I give these to my wife to display in her office. She thinks they’re cute.

Step 1, fuselage halves together and the joint puttied and sanded.

Pic1_2~2.jpg

I sprayed some primer to check the seams and fixed any places that needed fixing.

On to the wings. This kit does have raised panel lines. I decided to practice re-scribing them, just for the practice. I did the tail, but it didn’t turn out very well. I tried again on the wings and they turned out much better. Left one is scribed, right one not finished here.

Pic1_3~1.jpg

I assembled one wing. The wing and the wing root are not the same size, leaving a step. I chose to align the wing to the bottom of the wing root then sand down the top of the root. Probably should have done it the other way, but too late now.

Pic1_4~0.jpg

I finished scribing the other wing and sanded the raised panel lines off the horizontal tail then attached everything.

Pic1_5~0.jpg

The tails did not fit the contour of the fuselage at all. Its going to take some putty to fix those up.

As I was looking over the shelf of doom, I noticed my P-47 egg that I started back when I was working on my Tamiya P-47. Since its mostly assembled already, I figured why not finish it here too.

Pic1_6~0.jpg

I slapped the tail on it and started putting the seams. This has raised panel lines as well, but I’m going to sand those off instead of scribe them.

Pic1_7~0.jpg

Both of these are now roughly at the same point, which should make it easy to keep up on them.

Thanks for looking in! Be back soon.
Mike

A Hasegawa Omelet

Git'er done...

Don't know what i'm waiting on mine. Looks like I could get it done waiting on paint to dry.

A Hasegawa Omelet

Y'all beat Me too it ... So don't go Bacon My Heart !!! ... Nice ones Mike ... :java

A Hasegawa Omelet

Hi guys! Time to get caught up on my posts. Hope everyone is having a good Holiday season.

Lets start with the Zero. The P-47 is lagging a little bit behind.

When we last left, the zero was assembled. Next step was to slap on some gray primer, correct the seams and then paint the cockpit. I used White Ensign Colorcoats for the main colors on this build. The cockpit was painted Mitsubishi Cockpit Green, then the instrumentation panel decal was added.

Pic2_1~1.jpg

After that was cured, I added the canopy, masked with bare metal foil and sprayed the frame in the cockpit color.

Pic2_2~0.jpg

In the mean time I worked the seams on the P-47, and masked the canopy. Both builds being about equal at this point.

Pic2_3~0.jpg

Next step, some paint. The zero received a white primer coat on the leading edges of the wings in preparation for the yellow identification bands. These I sprayed with Mr. Color yellow. I cut masks following the decals then I sprayed the lower surfaces in WEM’s Mitsubishi Navy Gray, and the top surfaces in Mitsubishi Navy Green.

Pic2_4.jpg

For those of you who are not familiar with White Ensign Colorcoats, these are an enamel paint that comes in the old style tin. The colors are thoroughly researched and generally considered some of the most accurate model paints on the market. Unfortunately white ensign has gone out of business, but the Colorcoats are now available from H & B Hobbies if any one is interested.

https://www.hbhobbies.com

Once the paint cured, I sprayed a coat of future and then added the stickers.

Pic2_5.jpg

After letting them sit for a day, I sprayed a second coat of future followed by a Semi-Gloss acrylic varnish. Then I brush painted the firewall in the Lifecolor version of Atoke and added the engine. I’m not a fan of Lifecolor’s interpretation of this color, but its easy to brush paint and accuracy for an egg plane is not really the priority, so I went with it.

Pic2_6.jpg

The landing gear where assembled next. The doors have a hole where the parts on the back insert the pieces do not fill up the hole.

Pic2_7.jpg

I added some putty to clean this area up.

Pic2_8.jpg

Once that was done, I painted up the assembly, gray for the outsides of the doors, Aotake for the insides, dark rubber for the wheels and black for the struts. The cowling was painted in Mr. Color Cowling black and the propeller in Mr. Color Propeller Color (yes, these are the real names of the colors!). Then the rest of the fiddly bits where added, finishing off the Zero.

Pic2_9.jpg

Now its time to focus on the Jug. After the long an tedious effort of cleaning up the seams, it was primered in gray then painted in Tamiya Flat Aluminum and the anti-glare panel was painted in Lifecolor Olive Drab. Then it received a coat of future in preparation for the decals.

Pic2_10.jpg

Then I got a little crazy! The wing mounted guns are pretty terrible. And they somehow got squared off during the assembly process. So I decided to replace then with some brass tubing. So I chopped off the old ones, drilled some holes and added some 0.8mm brass tube for the new guns. Looks much better to me.

Pic2_11.jpg

After the glue dried, I touched up the paint and prepped for decals. Not too much further to go on this one. Hope to have it finished in a couple of days.

Thanks for looking in folks!

Happy Holidays
Mike

A Hasegawa Omelet

Hiya Folks! Back with my last installment.

After a coat of future, I got the decals down on the P-47. I left a couple off as I didn’t think they would end up going on very well. But overall there were no problems here. After the decals set overnight I gave the Jug a Semi Gloss Varnish and removed the masking from the canopy. I also touched up the zinc chromate yellow on the firewall using the Ammo version of this color.

Pic3_1~1.jpg

Then on to the last few parts. The landing gear was painted in Vallejo Steel and the tires in dark rubber. The gear doors are Tamiya Flat Aluminum with zinc chromate insides. The bombs were painted in Ammo olive drab. The cowling is Vallejo Yellow. Once the paint dried, it was all assembled. Sorry, didn’t take any photos along the way.

Pic3_2~0.jpg

Calling this one done. I’m pretty happy with the end result.

And a parting shot of the two eggs, before cracking! LOL

Pic3_3~0.jpg

Thanks for following along folks, and for all the kind comments. This was a fun little campaign. Time to clean the bench and get the Ferrari finished!

Mike

Back