• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Who wore Flak jackets in country in Vietnam?

Tankbuilder

I read sometime ago on one of the sub-forums here that only marines wore flak jackets in country in Vietnam. Is this true?

I have the Academy M-113 ACAV kit and the standing figure in it is wearing a flak jacket. So are the commander and the driver. Is this correct for a U.S.A. ACAV in Vietnam?

Thanks and cheers

From what I recall, flak vests were issued to nearly everyone upon arrival in Vietnam. They were disliked because they were hot, heavy, restricted movement and provided effective protection only against shrapnel, not AK-47 rounds.

Navy riverboat crews wore them, SEAL's wore them while transporting to or from a mission but rarely on a mission. Marine units SOP's were to wear their vests at all times, whether on base or on patrol.

Army units when on base usually had to keep them close but didn't have to wear them. Infantry on patrols often went without the vest. Armour and helicopter crews almost always wore their vests.

Cheers,
Rich

Rich B nailed it. Especially the armor and helicopter crews. In both "Chickenhawk" (Book about flying the Huey in VN & "A hundred Miles of Bad Road" (About being an armored cavalryman in VN) both make repeated mention of the use of the Flak Vest.

Back