• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Accurate Miniatures SBD-3 questions.

ausf

Master at Arms
I have the Coral Sea edition on the way. Pickings were slim on the kit, mostly 1s and 5s left.

I'm really interested in a Midway, so I was wondering if the difference is only in the decal sheet since they are both 3s. I see the CS is white numbers while the Midway is black, with a few other minor marking changes. I've read something about the gunner's mount or rear gun changing, but the two campaigns are pretty close in time. Then again, what happened to the SBDs at Coral Sea? The Lexington was lost and the Yorktown heavily damaged. Did they head for land, ditch? Maybe those 3s were gone after too.

Is it worth it to get an aftermarket decal set, or should I just stick with CS? Coral Sea was an important conflict and it seems I need to read up on it anyway. The context I always saw it in was the lead up to Midway and the Yorktown deception.

Second line of questions is regarding other AM: The Eduard Zoom set is available, but mostly overseas with a good time delay worked in. Is it worth it or can the kit be wrestled into shape OOB? Any other recommended detail parts?

The SBD is my hands down favorite plane, going back to when I was a kid sitting in a theatre watching Midway 'in sensaround', so I'd like to do it justice. Not sure why I waited so long, but was watching a show on Bob Ballard finding the Yorktown and before I knew it, the 3 was in the cart.

I say go for it man, you build it the way you want to you invest whatever you want but make it your best work because that's what you really want to do ... :pilot :popcorn :pilot

I have yet to see the actual differences between the models. Differences like intakes and exhaust shrouds aren't in the moldings IIRC. Go for it because there are no xspurts on SBDs here

I have yet to see the actual differences between the models. Differences like intakes and exhaust shrouds aren't in the moldings IIRC. Go for it because there are no xspurts on SBDs here

Ed may disagree with you on that Paul ... :woohoo:

I've had bad experiences with the Eduard stuff, IP being wrong color for the cockpit, printing bad. I've tend lately to avoid them. But that's just me, I know others will not agree.

I don't know much about the SBD and what's available. Looking forward to seeing what you find.

Thanks guys, maybe I'll stick OOB on this one and keep it Coral Sea.

I did a little research (not many books available on Coral Sea), looks like no SBDs survived from the Lexington. They were recovered after the battle, but were refused relocation to the Yorktown and thus went down with the ship.

Yorktown had 18 SBDs on board when it headed back to Pearl, so I imagine there was a whole new squadron on deck for Midway.

Actually there are ;) I have just about every book written on the SBD and am pretty versed on her ;)

The twin mount rear gun came about shortly after Coral-- some at Midway had them as a quick mock-up for added protection, but many had the standard one gun version as well-- so you wouldn't be wrong either way. As far as physical differences, as Paul said-- it's cosmetically minor...mainly cowl flaps and radiator scoop externally....

Some SBDs did get saved by being temporarily adopted by the other carriers-- but that was usually to get the pilots onboard safely- and then they were tossed over the side....much easier to replace planes than pilots ;)

There wasn't much time to switch markings in between the two battles-- agai I'd say either or would work as there was mismatching at this time....

Interior details on the kit as is are very much close to what was really there-- the Eduard stuff would really just be extra frosting on an already beautiful model ;) The dive flaps in the kit are the main issue-- some were warped...I was fortunate to have pretty straight ones-- but they are really the only thing worth replacing with PE if you feel the need...I never did though ;)

Any other questions or if you want reference material-- I have most of it ;)

Thanks Mike, I knew you knew your way around these birds.

I figured with a 3 day turnaround on the Yorktown, markings wouldn't be a priority, but I assumed entire new squadrons would be added before Midway.

I may build it as the Coral Sea Lex and just grab a 1/32 Trump down the road for Midway. ;)

I think Yorktown might have taken on some additional aircraft from land bases at Pearl during it's quick repair period-- but also entering the mix were SBDs from Enterprise and Hornet which weren't at Coral...and you also had a Marine contingent based on Midway to add to the mix-- so there's all sorts of combinations!

One other really important difference that might help you with your decision which I just thought to remind you of (not that it's unimportant-- I just am scattered!). Coral Sea Dauntless had the red meatball in the stars and the red/white striped tail fins....the meatballs were overpainted white and the tail fins were painted blue gray before returning to Midway.

Actually there are ;) I have just about every book written on the SBD and am pretty versed on her ;)

The twin mount rear gun came about shortly after Coral-- some at Midway had them as a quick mock-up for added protection, but many had the standard one gun version as well-- so you wouldn't be wrong either way. As far as physical differences, as Paul said-- it's cosmetically minor...mainly cowl flaps and radiator scoop externally....

Some SBDs did get saved by being temporarily adopted by the other carriers-- but that was usually to get the pilots onboard safely- and then they were tossed over the side....much easier to replace planes than pilots ;)

There wasn't much time to switch markings in between the two battles-- agai I'd say either or would work as there was mismatching at this time....

Interior details on the kit as is are very much close to what was really there-- the Eduard stuff would really just be extra frosting on an already beautiful model ;) The dive flaps in the kit are the main issue-- some were warped...I was fortunate to have pretty straight ones-- but they are really the only thing worth replacing with PE if you feel the need...I never did though ;)

Any other questions or if you want reference material-- I have most of it ;)

I know that there are differences between the real aircraft but what I was referring to the kit it self. I don't think the AM kits are all that different. Like I said, I know that there are differences in the real aircraft but not every Mk or Md of the aircraft is represented in the model. Go with the decals.

Ah gotcha Paul ;)

AM did their research...the correct number of cowl flaps are present in each variant...I believe the -1 started with just one and then as they moved onwards, it went to a few per side...I'm going by memory here as I'm too lazy to climb the stairs and check LOL. But they got everything right!

By the way Jeff-- if you come across any issues with the kit like missing parts or God forbid something disintegrates, let me know. I bought a big box special edition Operation Torch version years ago and it came with an extra few sets of sprues-- including another set of fuselage halves and the like. Not enough to build another completely intact model- but I hung onto it all anyways...us New Yorkers got ta stick together ;)

Ed may disagree with you on that Paul ... :woohoo:

:eek:hmy: :idonno I built the AM SBD-1 a few yrs back. Purty good right outta da box. I don't think there were much difference between models other than internal differences....

Thanks again guys.

Mike, I saw changes in the stars, fortunately the Coral Sea kit decals have the red dots separate. The rudder paint over I can do with masking.

I haven't received the kit yet, so I don't know what I have but appreciate the offer. I may have parts around here too. Way back when I was first married, my wife bought me a AM SBD (I believe the Tarawa) as a present. Unfortunately it was before I started modeling as an adult, so I never built it, but over the years used it as a template for paper models and other projects, losing pieces here and there.

If I find white numbering on a Midway SBD, I think I'll do a CS Yorktown vet at Midway.

Here's pic I found of the exact crew that the Lex based CS version is based on. In the pic, which is July, so after Midway, the numbers are black but the kit decals white.

hadf5d0c.jpg

This is what I would be shooting for in terms of color and weather.

h63b5061.jpg

I could probably scan the white CS decals and print them in black.

I'll look in the box when I'm up in the shop again- I may even have some of the decals left and if they're black, they're yours ;)

Wifey konked out early so I came up and looked...don't see any marking other than some yellow surrounds left...I have some leftovers from the Vindicator kit but that's about it...sorry

No worries Mike, I appreciate the help you are providing.

There are plenty of AM decals available, but at the same time, I have plenty of decal paper too. :D

I like using AM stuff, but only when it offers a distinct difference or advantage. In this case, if the stars, placards, etc are all good, I see no reason to buy a sheet just to get a color change of a few numbers. I have a Avenger decal sheet that has black letter/numbers, but no 'B's. But then that pic of the crew has an 'S'.

Were they ship tags, or plane designations?

Might be a connotation of what squadron they were in...Yorktown had VB-3 and VS-5...typically the S was for scout bombers-- these were planes with a single 500 pounder which were lighter to extend range while looking for the enemy fleet out in the great wide blue...whereas the B was for bomber squadrons which had bombs on all three hard points.

I will say that despite all the great detail, decals for the cockpit panel are lacking in any detail...not sure if Eduard has color PE for the kit-- but like Bob said the interior green color is sometimes a bit off.

Yorktown also had some SBDs from Saratoga on deck which make your marking options even a bit more expansive ;)

Might be a connotation of what squadron they were in...Yorktown had VB-3 and VS-5...typically the S was for scout bombers-- these were planes with a single 500 pounder which were lighter to extend range while looking for the enemy fleet out in the great wide blue...whereas the B was for bomber squadrons which had bombs on all three hard points.

I will say that despite all the great detail, decals for the cockpit panel are lacking in any detail...not sure if Eduard has color PE for the kit-- but like Bob said the interior green color is sometimes a bit off.

Yorktown also had some SBDs from Saratoga on deck which make your marking options even a bit more expansive ;)

Cool.

The Eduard kit has the color IP, but the only reasonable one I can grab is from eBay UK and the seller isn't available for two weeks. Couple that with shipping times and it'll be a while before I can get one. May or may not be an issue, but I know with me and building, if I put off something, it ends up shelved when another shiney object presents itself.

As it is, I was inspired by Phantom's Fujimi Mitsubishi, I have one inbound from Japan.

The SBD should be here today. Too many distractions, waiting on the zoom might kill enthusiasm. :hmmm

Back