• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Pigment Fixer

The Zod

So I understand the MIG Pigment Fixer. I brush that stuff on,then apply the pigments? Can I brush wet pigment on,or only dry?

Yes.

All the above. And someone check me if I'm wrong because I'm not that good with pigments. But you can apply the dry pigments then airbrush the fixer to hold them in place, or mix pigments with the fixer and apply wet.

Think of it this way, the pigments are sort of the same as the pigments in the bottom of an unshaken jar of paint. The other stuff is the fixer or carrier medium. Medium is the term used in art if I'm not mistaken. The way I understand it is the Fixer is just another medium for the pigments.

That help?? :idonno

Yes.

All the above. And someone check me if I'm wrong because I'm not that good with pigments. But you can apply the dry pigments then airbrush the fixer to hold them in place, or mix pigments with the fixer and apply wet.

Think of it this way, the pigments are sort of the same as the pigments in the bottom of an unshaken jar of paint. The other stuff is the fixer or carrier medium. Medium is the term used in art if I'm not mistaken. The way I understand it is the Fixer is just another medium for the pigments.

That help?? :idonno

Sure does. (y)

Wetting it and painting it on is great as I find I can use some fixer on a brush after its dry and remove excess or lighten the efect.

Hi Zod

Some good info here:

http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewtopic&topic_id=202078&page=1

See Rinaldi's post

Tom

Oh my!

You can also create heavy dust applications by scrubbing the dry pigment into the paint, and then gently airbrushing the Tamiya X-20A thinner fixer on top.

Not questioning his ability because it speaks for it self but isn't that very dangerous to the finish? X-20A can eat right into a paint job can't it?

I think the key word is "gently". Just mist it on to wet the pigments, don't touch and let it dry.

Tom

So I understand the MIG Pigment Fixer. I brush that stuff on,then apply the pigments? Can I brush wet pigment on,or only dry?

Well,Chad,I see you got some good answers.
Here are some more tips:When you finished your piece of armor in flat/matt paint and you want to have a dusty finnish,pigments will stick to the surface with out the aid of Pigment Fixer.
Just use a finger or Q-tip and rub on the spots that need dust.
On armor that is finnished in semi-gloss or gloss it is wise to use Pigment Fixer however.(this trick doesn't work on glossy finnishes)
If your into Mig Productions products try there Thinner For Washes,it is Enamel Thinner mild enough to not destroy the paint underneath it for a semi permanent fixation.
If you are not happy with the results once it had dried,you can go back with the Thinner For Washes to remove it.

On a budget,you can also use with water dilluted White Wood Glue or PVA Glue as fixer; "paint" your glue on the spots that you like and tap pigments loaded from a brush on the spots that are done with the glue.

Also on a budget;try to find pigments sold at the Art Supply Shops,they are relatively cheaper and sometimes even better then pigments sold by the well known names like Mig Productions,AK Interactive,Vallejo and so on.

On a final note;don't use pigments when wearing your best clothes,pigment stains are hard to remove even in the washing machine.You could say that pigments are just paint in powder form :D

Hope this helps.
Gr,Ron.

Thanks for the tips Ron. Would the finger or Q tip method make the pigments stick on better than a brush? :)

Back