• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Photo Etch Help

Taor

I'm sure this question has probably been asked many times, but is there a thread on this site that details how to prepare photo etch ? As mentioned recently in a different topic I have been away from modelling for 4 or so years & some knowledge has departed my brain cells. Dealing properly with photo etch is one of the things. Any help is much appreciated.

My method seems to be 'Bend, Spindle, Mutilate'. :D

What specifically are your concerns?

In terms of prep, it was explained to me that there's no residuals on it like you'll find on resin or styrene, otherwise the brass would keep etching.

A good sharp blade and light sanding of the connection points helps, CA or PVA for adhering.

If you want to anneal, which is a good idea if the part needs to be curved or rolled, go with the smallest flame first. I used to anneal brass sheets over a stove burner, it took some time but was easier than using a torch. So when I needed to do 1/32 Spandau shields, I headed to the stove, but the thin part went cheery red and contracted in less than a second. :blink

There is a vague recollection of the need to heat the photo etch & then let it cool before shaping etc. But not sure if this is correct.

That's a broad question, depends on the brand of PE. Eduards does not solder so prep there is minimal, fact is I don't prep it at all.

But if you'd like to read over one of the most comprehensive studies of working with PE please check out the articles created by our long lost Master Watanabe-san

https://www.modelersalliance.com/list-of-the-masters/44-yasuyuki-watanabe

A good place to look for info on carious techniques is our Sprue U. Tony Lee made a nice tutorial on Pe here. And for some inspiration take a look at Randys work here.
James

Back