• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

German Sd.Kfz.7 Cargo Bay Interior?

Tankbuilder

Hi there.

Too late I discovered/remembered there was a halftrack group build here. I've sstarted 3 Tamiya German Sd.Kfz.7 halftracks. They're the tractor for the 88 mm gun, the variant with the quad 20 mm anti-aircraft gun and the variant with the 37 mm anti-aircraft gun. It's the artillery variant that I have a question about.

I decided to open the two doors on the left side of the cargo bay. I've seem images with 1 vertical divider; 2 vertical dividers; or even no vertical dividers. I'm supposing that the artillery variant for towing the 88 mm anti-aircraft gun would have either no vertical dividers or 2 vertical dividers as only 1 vertical divider would limit the amount of ammo that could be stored inside there. Canh anyone tell me whether it was 2 vertical dividers or whether there were no vertical dividers at all?

I saw that Dragon has 2 in their kit but if I put 2 in mine then the Tamiya 88 mm ammo crates won't fit in any of the 3 recesses.

So, is it no vertical dividers or is it two vertical dividers?

BTW, I've already assembled the running gear onto each of the 3 kits. I cut the 'D' shaped section off of each of the bogie axles so that they can now move like the real ones.

Edit. Added link to this image = no internal vertical dividers.

http://militarymodels.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/Moving-Day.jpg

Thanks and cheers from Peter

Pure speculation Peter but maybe the dividers were removable?

I don't think so. A couple of images I've found without dividers don't show anything indicative of them having beed removed. I've decided to go with no dividers and just have that area open.

Cheers from Peter

And you know when you're done, someone's going to come along with the sure nuff' skinny on it. :rotf

:soldier

The only pics I have.

7-2.jpg

7-1.jpg

James

The only pics I have.

(Images removed to save badwidth)

James

Gee thanks for that image of the rear of the cargo bay James! VBG LOL Now I'm seriously thinking about opening up those two top rear doors. At least without putting any dividers in the side bay I can place some ammo boxes in that main section of the cargo bay.

I really like the layout of that storage area in the image you posted james. I think I'll sketch it up on some crad stock and see how much trouble it'd be to build it. Fortunately the rear piece of styrene that i put in the big cargo bay wasn't glued in yet. That means i can still open up this other section.

Thanks for the images James.

Cheers from Peter

I decided to open the rear of the cargo bay after all. That hand crank in the image that James posted plus thos six draws were just too tempting.

I used the opening up of the rear cargo bay doors to show my buddy how to do this. He was impressed and is going to open up the side doors of his 8 ton halftrack.

Thanks again James for that inspiring image.

Cheers from Peter

Look like rods probably held with Pit Pins.
James

Thanks James. Due to there being no visible twist indicative of either a cable or rope I was pretty sure they're rods.

Lots of fun to take a basic model like this and add a few things like the cargo bay interior and spare wheel stowage from scrap styrene after determining dimensions with the Old Mk.I Eyeball. I remember back in tthe day when that was the ONLY way to get added detail into a model. This kit dates from its introduction in the mis-1970s. Still a nice kit for the price though.

That image you posted sure was inspiring.

Cheers from Peter

Hey there Moon Puppy.

If there's a reference section somewhere on the site please move this message to it.

Whilst looking at reference images of the German Sdkfz 7 halftrack troop carrier version for my Tamiya build, I came across this fantastic image of the drive sprocket. WOW! Talk about a really complicated assembly! Every drive sprocket tooth is actually a pair of thin steel teeth with a roller between them. Can you imagine making that assembly in 1/35 scale? WOW!

Cheers from Peter

Back