• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Did Pz IV turret on Tiger I chassis really exist?

Tankbuilder

Was looking at some sites and saw a 1/35 scale kit of a Tiger I Hybrid with a long-barrel 75mm gun Pz.IV turret mounted on a Tiger I hull. Sounds too weird to be true. Did such a thing ever exist? If so, did it see combat?

Cheers from Pete

I dont remember a Tiger with a Panzer IV turret, but then again its early and no coffee yet. Schwere Heeres Panzerjager Abteilung 653 did have a Panther with a Panzer IV turret though and I know Cyber Hobby a Dragon subsidiary company makes it.
James

I'd have to echo James on this one.

Tigers were more akin to building a locomotive than a tank, so the numbers were low and repurposing rare. Beside the Sturm and Jagd, I don't think I've come across anything. If you think about, it would also be a complete waste. Tigers were extremely hard to deal with in terms of logistics, and the main goal of that hardship was to get an 88 surrounded by some seriously thick armor. Downgrading the turret wouldn't help anyone.

IVs and Panther hulls on the other hand have countless roles, both factory and field, Flak platforms, Schleppers, Berges, fixed positions, Ersatz M-10s, etc.

Back