• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Vallejo Matt Varnish question

Adam Baker

So I picked up a tube of Vallejo Matt Varnish while at Hobby Lobby on Saturday, to use on my Befehlsjager. Generally I end up using Testors Lacquer Flat Clear when I clear coat a model, and in the past I've had some issues w/ the lacquer reacting to paints & such, so I liked the idea of having an acrylic flat clear, but I had a question about this.

Is this a true flat/matt clear coat that I can spray right out of the bottle, or does it need to be added to the Vallejo Gloss Clear like how w/ Tamiya the flat clear has to be added to the gloss clear to be used?

Their Varnishes (Gloss, Satin and Matt) are ready to go as is.

Their Mediums (the same three finishes) can be added to their existing paint to alter sheen.

I use it all the time ,
it is a good flat/matt finish straight out of the bottle,
you can thin it also with some water, i never had any trouble with it.

I have used the Testors matt finish for years. Sprayed it over a lot of different paints. (Curly is a good example) Sprayed it over Testors, Floquil, Vallejo, and Alclad and had no problem. I always mix it 60-40 or 50-50 with Testors thinner and spray it on somewhat dry.

I've always used the rattle can. It's not a huge issue, but something I've run into a couple of times, so I liked the idea of having an acrylic clear.

Got the first coat down during lunch today, and I'm happy w/ it. Think I put it down a bit heavy to start w/, but after a bit of tweaking I got it. I thinned the first batch a bit w/ water, but the stuff is really thin to begin with, so might try doing it w/o thinning the second time just to see how it goes down.

Never use rattle cans myself (on models anyway). Not enough control on the paint output and placement.

Glad to hear you are at the 99.9% point. Looking forward to seeing the finish. (y)

Did you buy the big bottle of matte coat? If you ever buy the small type bottle of matte,or any clear coat from Vallejo,those do need to be thinned. I mean the normal small bottles like their paint.

It's the small bottle, like what the regular paint comes in. Got the 2nd coat down after getting home from work and it sprayed fine w/o any thinning, so I'll go that route w/ it in the future. I'll have to look into getting the larger bottle, I can see this small bottle going pretty quickly.

Adam.
May I ask what type of airbrush you use for spraying the Vallejo matte coat? I have the small bottle matte coat,and mine is thick. Maybe they have two versions of the matte coat? :idonno

Adam.
May I ask what type of airbrush you use for spraying the Vallejo matte coat? I have the small bottle matte coat,and mine is thick. Maybe they have two versions of the matte coat? :idonno

They sell Matte, Satin and Gloss in both Varnish and Medium. You may have medium which is an additive. The Varnish is kind of inbetween the Model Color and the Model Air in terms of viscosity if memory serves me.

Ive had a bottle of matte that had to be really shaken up as when I used it it came out a bit gloosy.\

I prised the stopper top off and gave it a good old stir and added a few drops of water

Its good now but just be warned if you think that your mixture is a bit on the thick side

Back