• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

? on universal carrier in Saskatoon light infantry

chrispdm1

I am building up a bren carrier to replicate this photograph. I was looking around for something interesting to build with one of my Tamiya kits and thought this one looked interesting, when I saw it was from a regiment formed pretty much in my backyard, that was good enough for me.
f2c461c39b1ab8a7c9ce8dec91f43148.jpg

I have a couple questions on markings and thought there might be someone that would be able to shed some light on the subject.

The AOS is easily seen and I know that SLI was part of the 1st Canadian Division and though there is no division marking on the front, I will put one on the back.

What I do not know is what the L shaped marking is next the red white red idntification. Is that a unit insignia of some kind? This picture is from March of '44 and I see that by the fall of '44 that their carriers had what looks like a rhino on it. Anyone have any idea what that marking is and what color it might be?

The other question I have is does it look like this particular carrier is painted in 2 tone camo? I think it kinda looks like it, but want a second opinion.

Hi Chris,
At this point I don't have answers for you,I have not much time to research now.(maybe later)
Don't know if you know this site: http://www.google.nl/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCIQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.saskatoonlightinfantry.org%2Fphotos.html&ei=Y-YFVfunCeLZ7gb6t4HQDg&usg=AFQjCNHnQ5QdIycx5Cr7f_75Nk5LCe4RFQ&bvm=bv.88198703,d.ZGU&cad=rja

Maybe there is something there that can help you along.

Gr,Ron.

There is a good chance that it is SCC2 Khaki Brown with a disruptive pattern of SCC 14 Black. By late 1943 the Light Mud based scheme was being replaced with the European colours as we moved up the boot of "greener" Italy.

I would say SCC 15 British Olive Drab can be ruled out as the base colour as it did not come into use until April 1944 and the picture is dated as March 1944. There is an outside chance that it could be Khaki Green G3 with Dark Tarmac N0. 4 if it escaped being repainted since 1942.

This link helps explain the often confusing subject of British Army camouflage schemes, MAFVA.

As for the Tactical Marking on the side panel, it looks somewhat like that for the 3rd Battery of an Artillery Regiment. It would have been a red square in the lower left quadrant with the rest in blue.

There were times that special ID markings were applied for specific operations.

Don't if any of that helps.

Cheers,
Rich

Thanks, Rich, that site definitely gives me a breakdown on what it might be. I'm thinking I'll go with the "light mud" and dark green. The nice thing is that with black and white photos, no one can tell me its wrong... :laugh:

I'll do some looking, but now that you mention it, it might be an artillery marking, I'll look into that a bit more. I don't know why there would be an artillery marking, but we'll see. I think the mg section were shuffled around to different units as needed, so perhaps it was working with artillery.

Thanks, Ron, I browsed through that site yesterday, lots of great pictures.

Back