• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Need advice on photoetch tool straps on tank model

Adam Baker

On my Befehlsjager build, I'm almost to the point of starting to paint, but I've got one more thing I need to figure out before I can paint.

The photoetch straps for all of the tools.

My plan has been to wait to attach all of the tools until after all painting & weathering is complete, but all of the tools have separate photoetch straps that "hold" the parts in place. The instruction sheet shows that the straps should be the same color as the tank, including the camo pattern running over them.

I'm thinking it would be better to wait to apply the straps until I do the tools as well, and just carefully hand paint the straps to match what ever area they are going down.

What method does everyone use for these straps? This is the first build I've done where I've had to do PE straps, so I'm not sure what the best route would be.

Personally I attach the straps and tools spray the whole thing then paint the individual tools after but slipping thin bit of paper behind them so not to muck up the basecoat (y)

Thing is its all down to whatever works for you

Hmm, I hadn't thought about that Andy. With the etch on there, there would be room to slide the paper under it. I think I like that idea. Can definitely see how that could make things easier.

I think I might give that a shot, and see how it works out.

Personally I attach the straps and tools spray the whole thing then paint the individual tools after but slipping thin bit of paper behind them so not to muck up the basecoat (y)

Thing is its all down to whatever works for you

Yep this is what I do as well.

Terry B)

Back