• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Painting with Giovanni: video tutorial

gioazz

Hi guys,

I've plan to paint a figure with James for quite a long tome now, so I decided to use a completely new method for me to explain what I do, video!

I bought a camcorder and with a really cool video editing software I created this.

Please be nice, this has been my very first experience ever, so the quality and result may not be that good, took me ages to figure out how to use both the camcorder and the software!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF1i_kh8GFo

More to came.

Ciao

GIovanni

An excellent tutorial. I have been unloading my brush of paper towel. Tried it on regular paper and there was a difference. So here is my first step.

face1_2_20101023_1725587565.jpg

James

An excellent tutorial. I have been unloading my brush of paper towel. Tried it on regular paper and there was a difference. So here is my first step.

face1_2_20101023_1725587565.jpg

James

Hi James,

I see pictures are improved a lot, and I'm really glad!

Base coat looking good, and I can see from the smudges on the blanket that the dilution was perfect.

I have a couple of things to point out, the right arm and the neck joints to the body, they don;t look completely "gapless" is this true or is just the picture?

Also, what primer are you using?

Ciao

Giovanni

P.s.: go on with preshading nd highlights!

P.S.2: Please bare with me for the next video, I'm going to have a very busy week next week, so I won't have much time to paint or editing..

I played with the white balance. Was set to ambient before and now is fluorescent. That was a big difference. I did one more coat of flesh and will do the shading tonight since picture taken. The joints look really bad in the camera. I will go over them again. They didn't look so bad in life size. I hate when the camera shows all the bad spots. I am trying a new primer, a flat white metal primer from the hardware store.

Not a problem with timings. I have a few figures I can practice the base flesh coat on as we go, Oh and I had no mahogany so I used leather brown and oxford blue instead of the blue wash.

James

great, try to use manual white balance, with your camera should be quite straight forward.

As for the primer, just an hint, try to use it as little as possible, not to cover any details.

leather brown and oxford blue are perfect

I dont have pics yet, but got the shade and hi lighting done. Will post the pics soonest.
James

Hi James,

Pics are slightly out of focus, but I can understand that is all good!

Thanks so much for sharing!

Ciao

Giovanni

Painting with Giovanni: video tutorial 2

Hi guys,

Here the second part of the tutorial, painting the face with acrylics.

As usual, let me know if you have questions and post your work.

Ciao

Giovanni

Cool Giovanni. I've watched it 2 times now and still dont know how you do it. Will try and get mine finished by the weekend. Just ended up being a busy week this week.
James

Cool Giovanni. I've watched it 2 times now and still dont know how you do it. Will try and get mine finished by the weekend. Just ended up being a busy week this week.
James

Ciao James,

Is the video not that clear?? Please, if you have any question, do ask, I'm here to help.

Looking forward to your progress.

As a general advice I would say:

keep the blending/stippling motion to a minimum when using oil (they tend to get "dirty")

You should try to keep a very tiny amount of the pure colour where you want the maximum tone (either highlight or shadow)and blend the rest to have a subtle tone.

Ciao

Giovanni

Your videos are excellent. I just dont get how you know what to put where to blend how. Anyways hopefully get some time today or tomorrow to try this. Will show what happens when done.
James

Just try James, I'm sure you'll do a great work!

Ciao

Giovanni

Will do, and one particular part that really made sense after the movie was the mixing of colours. I'm going to have to take my palette over to the computer and follow along.
James

The greatest reward of this video tutorial is that is actually useful for you.

Thank you very much.

Ciao

Giovanni

The greatest reward of this video tutorial is that is actually useful for you.

Thank you very much.

Ciao

Giovanni

Dont get me wrong, both have been invaluable. You've really got the cinematography down. I'm looking forward to this more and more.
James

Okay. Mine now looks like a clown. Dont wait for me Giovanni, I'm going to have to sit back a little bit and rethink this.
James

James,

If you do not want to publicly post an image of the figure, why not send it to Giovanni privately? He may have the experience needed to tell you how to recover without stripping off the paint.

Regards,

Back