• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

how to photograph your figures

Lots of info to work with here G, and great timing. I know Mike, Chris and I have been talking about photo booths and lighting a lot lately. Thanks for this, it'll come in handy!

Lots of info to work with here G, and great timing. I know Mike, Chris and I have been talking about photo booths and lighting a lot lately. Thanks for this, it'll come in handy!

Hi bob,

First of all I need to tHank you for your support and help for publishing the article.

I'm glad you like it and I hope will be of help.

Ciao

Giovanni

Excellent article Giovanni. I'm not going to be able to most of this for our painting, but when I get on my feet again my wife and I think we'll make a photo area in our spare room for my models and her jewelry. Thanks again for an awesome tutorial. (y) (y)
James

Excellent article Giovanni. I'm not going to be able to most of this for our painting, but when I get on my feet again my wife and I think we'll make a photo area in our spare room for my models and her jewelry. Thanks again for an awesome tutorial. (y) (y)
James

Hi James,

I'm happy you appreciate this tips and I hope, you can at least practice a bit with the white balance so w can make our painting more interactive and I can help you more.

Ciao

Giovanni

Yeah, in this age of digital photography, you can get away with a lot of things.

This method of "Product Photography" will work just fine for this purpose.
But if I may, let me suggest the addition of one more light, illuminating the subject from behind.
This is what we call a "rim" light and will give separation from the background.

But this is very cool.
(y)

:ro:

Yeah, in this age of digital photography, you can get away with a lot of things.

But if I may, let me suggest the addition of one more light, illuminating the subject from behind.
This is what we call a "rim" light and will give separation from the background.

But this is very cool.
(y)

Hi Black-sheep,

Thanks for your compliments, I'd like to see same example of the "rim" light effect, can you show it to me, this sounds interesting.

I always used the 2 spot light to make the gradient and separate the figure from the background.

Please let me know if you can.

Ciao

Giovanni

But this is very cool.
(y)

Hi Black-sheep,

Thanks for your compliments, I'd like to see same example of the "rim" light effect, can you show it to me, this sounds interesting.

I always used the 2 spot light to make the gradient and separate the figure from the background.

Ciao

Giovanni

Giovanni,

I'm sorry to say that since I quit doing commercial photography a few years ago, I don't have any samples of my work ready to show (quite frankly I have no idea where my book is:idonno ).
Besides, my speciality was Fashion and Beauty and I used to shoot on location mostly.

But I did find this link that will serve to clearly demonstrate my point.
Just mouse over the little lamp ot the top right corner of the image.

http://www.photocourse.com/itext/rim/

I hope this helps.

But this is very cool.
(y)

Hi Black-sheep,

Ciao

Giovanni

Giovanni,

I'm sorry to say that since I quit doing commercial photography a few years ago, I don't have any samples of my work ready to show (quite frankly I have no idea where my book is:idonno ).
Besides, my speciality was Fashion and Beauty and I used to shoot on location mostly.

But I did find this link that will serve to clearly demonstrate my point.
Just mouse over the little lamp ot the top right corner of the image.

http://www.photocourse.com/itext/rim/

I hope this helps.

Thanks so much, really appreciated.

I do think that with such small figures, the same effect can be achieved with the spot lights, but I'll defo make tests to check the effects.

Is always great to learn new tricks.

Have a look at my new pics in the dafadar section later on today (when I'll have time to upload them, tell me what you think.

Ciao

Giovanni

Giovanni,

With small objects like these little figures, the trick is to "narrow" the beam of light coming from the lamp.
Place some flags (two pieces of cardboard or anything to block the light)in front of the lamp in a "V" shape and narrow that beam to light up just the area you want and reduce the spilloff of light to the background and foreground.

Another thing, you can do the same using a mirror instead of adding a third light.
Just have the mirror bounce some light coming from the main light.

I hope this helps.

Back