• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tie Fighter dual build (finished)

Heavens Eagle

Am really late getting this going but if I don't get distracted, (or too deep into AMS) I believe that both of these kits can be done in time. They are the Bandai Tie Interceptor in 1/72 and the Bandai Tie Striker also in 1/72.

Why 2 kits? One, the Interceptor is for the MMM build and the Striker is for the Galaxy Far Far Away build. Since both GB's end on March 31 and since the kits have some similar traits, I am building them together as a dual kit, group build. Two kits, two ribbons, one thread which will also compare the kits while in process. Bigger than the 2 Stukas I built a while back, but still small (at least the Interceptor is). So let's see if I can actually do it.

The Tie Interceptor is being built for the Micro Modeler Month.

The Tie Striker is being built for the Galaxy Far Far Away build.

Here are the start photos and the initial part of the builds.

TB-001.jpg

TB-002.jpg

TB-003.jpg

TB-004.jpg

TB-005.jpg

TB-006.jpg

TB-007.jpg

TB-008.jpg

TB-009.jpg

Annnnd, my usual continuation bit. :D

Tie Fighter dual build

Here is the rest of the posting for now.

TB-010.jpg

TB-011.jpg

TB-012.jpg

TB-013.jpg

TB-014.jpg

Actually have a lot more done, but this is a great stopping point and the next part will focus on the Tie Interceptor and adding weight to keep it from setting on the nose. (Have succeeded on that but still need a little tweak work yet).

So far the fit is quite tight and clean. The kits are designed to where they can be assembled without glue and the fit as I said is exceptional. Unless you want to test fit and pull back apart, and then it is a bit of a fight. Used some stone setting burrs to open up the big peg holes and the process becomes quite nice. Detail is all you could ask for and the decals work quite well.

More in a couple of days.

Tie Fighter dual build

Thanks for your kind comments guys. Got a lot done on the Interceptor the last couple of days. Mostly to get it to just set right on the lower fins. I believe I have it and here are some new pics. Moving right along on this though this weekend will probably be a complete wash. My mom is turning 90 on Saturday. My daughter and a good family friend have planned a nice party for her. While she is starting to slow down a bit, she still keeps quite busy and is always doing something.

So here is the balancing act.

TB-015.jpg

TB-016.jpg

TB-017.jpg

TB-018.jpg

TB-019.jpg

The Tie Striker is even more nose heavy with it's huge long wings to the front. The good thing is that the fuselage is also much larger and I can easily heap some weights in the rear of it though I will need to mod it for some landing gear or make a cradle for it. as in this photo.

tie_striker.jpg

Found it in an internet search. I believe it is a screen shot maybe from one of the Star Wars games. We will see.

Tie Fighter dual build

Like them both Paul! Funny though, weighting the rear is so much different then what we usually do!

Tie Fighter dual build

Like them both Paul! Funny though, weighting the rear is so much different then what we usually do!

I know what you mean Mike. Lucky for me there was enough space to add the weight in the Interceptor. (barely) The Striker though is a whole different beast. The wings are huge and stick way forward. The fuselage is a short cigar so it will be much easier to add the counter weight to make it set right. For now I will just assemble the bases and mount them up. Also, I think the wings on the Striker are moveable. Won't know for sure until I piece it together to add the weights.

Tie Fighter dual build

I didn't get anything done on these this last weekend as I was in Tulsa for my mother's 90th birthday. She had a blast and a lot of folks came. She definitely doesn't act or seem to be as old as she really is. All I could ever hope for would be as spry and aware as she is at her age.

Got back and just did not feel up to doing much for a couple of days. Wednesday night though I got the Striker all weighted up and tested. It was MUCH easier and tonight I fully assembled the fuselage and cleaned up the back side of the front window. Both of these kits have a choice of window parts. Clear with the windows in place or just the open frames with no glass like the movie props. Tomorrow night I will assemble the Interceptor fuselage and will probably paint the black parts of the wings. Thought about just leaving them unpainted, but there are plastic flow marks in the middle areas so parts are shiny and other areas are flat. That won't do.

If I can keep at it, I should be able to finish them both. They have already been partly assembled and pulled apart, now it is just doing the paint and final assembly. Hurry, hurry, fun times.

(Yes I have photos, but will post them later on a build break)

Tie Fighter dual build

Thanks Luiz for your kind comment. Much appreciated!

Taking a little build break tonight so here are some photos. Actually assembled and glued something! :eek:hmy:

Really did a little more than just that, but the photos will tell all.

TB-020.jpg

TB-021.jpg

TB-022.jpg

TB-023.jpg

TB-024.jpg

TB-025.jpg

TB-026.jpg

TB-027.jpg

These kits are really quite nice. If you want to fit things together and pull them back apart you have to relieve some material from inside the peg holes. Not a lot, but a little material shaved off does help with the fitting process especially if you are going to glue it together.

As I have stated before, the overall fit of the parts to each other is exceptional. Because of this I made a trip to the local hobby shop this evening and picked up the Tie Advanced x1, and the original regular Tie Fighter kits.

Enjoy! :drinks

Tie Fighter dual build

These are coming along great Paul!

I really like the look of the Tie Striker! Sharp looking!!

:popcorn

Tie Fighter dual build (new photos)

I didn't get much done this week, as I made a trip back to Tulsa to celebrate my mother's birthday. She was born on March 18th 1927. Ninety years later she is still going strong and quite sharp. Hard to believe that my own mother is this old and still doing well. Just have to post this as she has been the most important person in my life.

TB-027MB.jpg

This was at her birthday party last Saturday and she spent most of it being the social butterfly like she always has been.

Happy Birthday Mom! :yipee

Over the weekend I managed to get the windows all masked, the seams smoothed, the black panels all painted gloss black, and most of the base models painted neutral grey. Then I assembled the wings for the Striker. Fit was quite good on them. Started by glueing the large black panels to the bottom frames then pressed the top frame in and used liquid glue around the outer edges to fully join the parts.

Tonight I will mask off the black panel areas (doesn't have to be tight just to protect them) The lower frame was painted, but the upper frame is larger and I have to paint the overlap and the hinge areas. Should have both kits finished by Friday.

Nice Paul,

I got my extra solar panels built last night (mostly). Should have mine finished by Friday too!

Tie Fighter dual build

Tonight I was able to get the Striker wing hinges all assembled, masked off the black panel areas and sprayed the parts grey that needed to be painted. Tomorrow I am planning on painting the dark grey window frames and detail parts on the Striker and Interceptor. I will also try and get the wings on the interceptor assembled and masked for touch up. The old time drafting tape is great for masking as it is only about as tacky as post it notes. Might even be the same sticky formula, who knows, it works though.

Taking some pics as I am going but it is crunch time so photo posts will have to wait till the weekend.

Back