• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

CYLON RAIDER 1/32 Scale weathering finished.

Brokeneagle

Master at Arms
Well, I am going to try to complete this one before April. It should be easy as it is only a few parts and mainly a paint job.
20161230_142112.jpg

CYLON RAIDER 1/32 Scale

:geek I hope everyone had a great New Years Eve.
Mine was so exciting that I built my Cylon Raider. :laugh:
20170101_175409.jpg

20170101_175503.jpg

20170101_175317.jpg

The kit was a little disappointing in that down here in oz these Mobius kits cost an 'Arm and A leg' for what they are - same cost as a Drgaon german tank except that the Dragon kit has 3 versions and 500 part, while theCylon kit has 44 parts including the stand. The Dragon tank goes together really well with no gaps while the mobuis kit has 'mega' gaps and instructions that are nearly not worth using.
I didi a lot of clamping to 'kill' the gaps on the sides but the compound curve gaps underneath don't come close to meeting and will need filler. On top of this the main injection channels are very large where they meet the body and Mobuis have made them inject on the curve of the main body pieces which makes it very hard to cut. The large piece of sprue then takes a chunk of the outside body with it.
:evil:
20170101_175534.jpg

20170101_175526.jpg

20170101_175552.jpg

So no cleanup done yet, that will be later this week. Overall the moldings are reasonably crisp with the main cockpit 'head' being the nicest part. The lazer cannons have not had much extra effort put into them so overall the Mobius kit is about 50% overpriced.
You also get a clear stand.
20170101_175609.jpg

The painting is fairly straight forward with a finish that will be similar to a dirty bare metal cold war jet fighter.
20170101_175632.jpg

* One thing to watch for is the small clear part that fits into the eye of the head piece. I threw mine out accidentally thinking it was a piece of clear flash they had come off the sprue. :smack

See you again soon. :coolio

CYLON RAIDER 1/32 Scale

That stand look extremely familiar, like from my childhood. Maybe it was a stand for an airliner or Wiley Post "Winnie Mea". You'd think with what you're paying they would make a new stand.
No..I remember now, it was in a kit for an American Airlines kit because there was a decal that fitted that triangle. anyone else remember this?

CYLON RAIDER 1/32 Scale

Moebius is an inbetween type of company. Part garage kit, part modeling company, so they're not cheap and lack the resources DML has, but they come out with some cool kits. For the most part, the newer ones are outstanding in fit and function, just pricey if you are considering the parts count.

I'm just amazed how BSG got away with this design. That is in no uncertain terms, HR Giger's Alien with a Lexus grill attached. Or as I think, Lexus designed their cars to look like Cylon Raiders.

hfa58834.jpeg

CYLON RAIDER 1/32 Scale

:geek I hope everyone had a great New Years Eve.
Mine was so exciting that I built my Cylon Raider. :laugh:
20170101_175409.jpg

20170101_175503.jpg

20170101_175317.jpg

The kit was a little disappointing in that down here in oz these Mobius kits cost an 'Arm and A leg' for what they are - same cost as a Drgaon german tank except that the Dragon kit has 3 versions and 500 part, while theCylon kit has 44 parts including the stand. The Dragon tank goes together really well with no gaps while the mobuis kit has 'mega' gaps and instructions that are nearly not worth using.
I didi a lot of clamping to 'kill' the gaps on the sides but the compound curve gaps underneath don't come close to meeting and will need filler. On top of this the main injection channels are very large where they meet the body and Mobuis have made them inject on the curve of the main body pieces which makes it very hard to cut. The large piece of sprue then takes a chunk of the outside body with it.
:evil:
20170101_175534.jpg

20170101_175526.jpg

20170101_175552.jpg

So no cleanup done yet, that will be later this week. Overall the moldings are reasonably crisp with the main cockpit 'head' being the nicest part. The lazer cannons have not had much extra effort put into them so overall the Mobius kit is about 50% overpriced.
You also get a clear stand.
20170101_175609.jpg

The painting is fairly straight forward with a finish that will be similar to a dirty bare metal cold war jet fighter.
20170101_175632.jpg

* One thing to watch for is the small clear part that fits into the eye of the head piece. I threw mine out accidentally thinking it was a piece of clear flash they had come off the sprue. :smack

See you again soon. :coolio

Hi Again,
filled in the gaps with modelling paste. Not sure how many of you use this method over standard putty or even know of this brand, so please bear with me.

20170118_205018.jpg

20170118_205028.jpg

20170118_205038.jpg

I highly recommend this stuff - Monte Mart modelling paste. It's only about $7.00 for a huge tub and is water soluble. This has taken over from my Tamiya putty for nearly all of my seams and filling tasks with my models. You can get into any spot and no sanding is required as it just wipes away. If you need to build it up a bit just repeat the process as with putty. Never will you have to sand away that detail and re scribe again. This was the finish I used on the 1:72 SCALE UBOAT DIO water surface detail.
see pics below and don't hesitate to ask any questions.
20170119_185003.jpg

20170119_185033.jpg

Back again soon with paint.

CYLON RAIDER 1/32 Scale

Nice, there's also Liquitex brand we have here. Never thought of using it for gap filler. :notworthy

CYLON RAIDER 1/32 Scale

Looks like great stuff. Is it water proof after it dries, does it stick to plastic well and can it be sanded? And where do you by it? Gary S.

CYLON RAIDER 1/32 Scale

Looks like great stuff. Is it water proof after it dries, does it stick to plastic well and can it be sanded? And where do you by it? Gary S.

Hi Gary, yes to all of the above. I get this in art shops and cheap stores called $2 hops here in Australia. If you are in the US i am not sure where you would buy it.

Ian.

CYLON RAIDER 1/32 Scale

Quick poston progress - simple grey base coat done with a brush as I can't use my airbrush at present. looking into sorting my paint / fume extraction before I can go further.
20170213_210248.jpg

Back