• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

natural metal finish

135engineer

As per request here is the natural metal finish sbs.
The materials used are allclad
Polished aluminum
Black micro filler primer
Clear gloss
I used a Iwata double action gravity feed. Pressure was set to 30 psi.( that way it atomizes better for this type of finish)

hedf70b6.JPG

I am using a ship base to show a larger area of aluminum and a Tamiya 1/12 mototcycle engine.

hd6a0e3e.JPG

h3bcce9a.JPG

The first step is to apply 2 coats of the black primer.

haecde3f.JPG

h52295e1.JPG

These are then accelerated with a hair dryer on low setting.

Next is a kiss coat of the aluminum. This is then followed by successive coats until the desired finish is achieved. I find that it usually takes about three coats.
h2531511.JPG

h840f773.JPG

hf80a6c2.JPG

hbd8869a.JPG

After these have dried use a soft cloth to polish the finish lightly . Allclad can be a delicate paint and will come off with handling. To prevent this a light coat of allclad clear gloss will seal everything.

Thanks helios . Hope it helps. Did the polished aluminum because that's what most people want is to do that on a airframe

Thanks Guys. As soon as the bench is a little clearer I am going to do the water base for the mogami as a sbs.

Back