• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Some help with Natural Metal Finish

Heavens Eagle

I have been working on a Geek project that has a very smooth featureless NM finish. I am using the Alclad paints which I have found to be quite good so far. Though so far I have not had to have the "Perfect" surface for the aluminum finish.

Where I am currently at is that the plastic had been filled and smoothed as close as I was able to tell. Last weekend I sprayed some Alclad gloss black on it and discovered some sand marks and the fuselage seams still had issues. I sprayed some Alclad black primer with microfiller over that and let it dry for several days.

Last night I finally took some 600 grit sandpaper and wet sanded it to where all the flaws I was seeing are gone. It is now smoother than a baby's behind. :D

This is where the questions come in. There some spots where I sanded through the black primer to the plastic though it all is smooth. Should I spray another layer of primer and wet sand with say some 2000 grit or would it be okay with just spraying some more Alclad gloss black over it at this point. The gloss looked good before except for the big sand flaws and seam lines which now seem to be taken care of.

I don't have the experience in this to know if the 600grit sand marks are fine enough for the gloss to smooth over or not. I have no clue as to which way I should go. If it is fine for the gloss coat now, great! If it needs more "finer" sanding and some primer over the few small bare spots that is OK as well. I would just like to pass on doing more primer over another gloss coat if possible. :facepalm

What experiences have you had on this? :hmmm

Prime it then the black coat. Don't mess with it or it will come back and haunt you, ask me how I know....:bang head.

The problem with the primer I was using is that it won't go on as smooth as I need and will "have to be" sanded again. (pebbles and bumps)

I guess the real question is, is the 600 grit wet sand finish good enough or should it have a finer grit finish, say 1000 or 2000 grit.

I would do the primer again, built up slow sand light and progressive with the paper. Get your primer as smooth as possible. Then get your gloss coat.

Thanks Bob. That kind of confirms what I was thinking to a great extent. Though I still have no feel for what grit I should use for the final wet sand.

Paul , if you need to polish your finish , try this instead of sandpaper .

Should be easy to find :)

polishing_001a.jpg

Cheers, Christian B)

This has been bookmarked in my stash for a long time, lots of good info in the first and last 2 minutes. Be sure to leave your mask on the bench since this stuff is so dangerous :blink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AKxXZXTcY4

He mentions wet-dry sandpaper from Gator Grip, is that still available, Kenny?

:drinks

I'd go with whatever the car modelers now do. Last time I went for it, I bought the Micro-Mesh sanding and polishing system.

Regards,

He says "Gator Grip" at 1:07, so I guess you got some free advertising. :laugh:

The clear finish he mentions has not appeared at our hobby shops, I may need to look into that as well.

:drinks

I'd go with whatever the car modelers now do. Last time I went for it, I bought the Micro-Mesh sanding and polishing system.

Regards,

http://micro-surface.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=272_4_76_86&products_id=76

Don't know if this is the same source Saul but I picked up this kit, or one close to it several years ago and its still serving me well. And only $16. Any one of the products by themselves would be more than that.

Back