• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Rehabing a real Monster.

ausf

Master at Arms
I scored an original 1961 Aurora Frankenstein so I'm setting off to bring it back to life.

After disassembly and scrubbing, I'll give it a proper glue and seam filling.

As it stands:

aur.jpg

aur1.jpg

aur2.jpg

aur3.jpg

aur4.jpg

aur5.jpg

Here's a comparison to the 1999 repop. A lot more flash and a horrible sink mark in the palm. That must be one tired old mold.

aur6.jpg

aur7.jpg

aur8.jpg

I know you'll do him justice. I had older cousins that used to build these kits in the 60's, following with interest.

:ro:

Got some work done on the kit. It really isn't a badly engineered piece, especially considering it retailed for 98 cents.

After cleaning it up, I had to get creative with the clamping and fix a few surfaces so they mated nicely.

You can see the results of some care during assembly. Very little putty will be needed in the next step.

aur17.jpg

aur11.jpg

aur12.jpg

aur14.jpg

Some shims were needed:

aur13.jpg

And sanding joints flat:

aur15.jpg

aur16.jpg

Final mating, joins a bit tighter than before:

aur9.jpg

aur10.jpg

I need a Sedagive... :D

Here's a comparison between the 60s and the 10s. Both styrene, but Moebius upped the stakes.

aur18.jpg

Final assembly of the Monster. I'm stumped to the engineering of the jacket. Up to then, everything was well designed, but there's only one attachment point with the two halves. Any pressure on that point would raise the piece off the chest, neck or separate the jacket. Due to design it couldn't be pre-assembled and one side couldn't be set because alignment with the rest wouldn't be assured. It was a bit of a struggle for me, as an adult with a shop full of tools, tapes and glues, I can't imagine me 45 years ago getting this right sitting at a card table with a tube of Testers orange oozing out.

The white strips are shims added to strengthen some joints until the putty locks everything in place when filled.

aur19.jpg

aur20.jpg

While running some molds, I took some leftover silicone to cast the jacket texture so I can reproduce any detail lost with seam correction.

aur21.jpg

That's it for now, comments and critiques more than welcome.

Back