• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Macduffee Deep Sea Suit

jknaus

Administrator
I'm going to go way out there with something completely different.

Diving_suit.jpg

From the net:
Stelzner wrote:

Macduffs ADS was tested in 1915 in Long Island Sound. It was made like the “Hanseatische”from aluminum alloy and weighted about 250 kilo. The cylindrical joints mounted on ball bearings allowed movement in one direction only. They do not appear to be watertight due to the fact Macduffee implemented a waterpump in the suit. This pump was able to pump water from the leg section into the sea. The pump operated on compressed air supplied from the surface. The used air from the pump then expanded into the suit and was used by the diver for breathing. ( Robert H. Davis Stated the pump was driven by electricity) The suit was equipped with a 12 section-gripper mounted on one arm and a electric light on the other arm.

Credit for constructing the first suit to utilize ball bearings as the medium to provide movement to a joint and also to act as the load-bearing surface must go to a Mr. Mac Duff­ie, who tested his formidable-looking A.D.S. to a depth of 214 feet in Long Island Sound, New York. MacDuffie’s suit resembles a science fiction robot more than an A.D.S.

Picture5.jpg

Picture3.jpg

James

Wow, scary looking thing . You would never get out of it alive if it had a malfunction .

Brilliant for it's time though .

Looks like that should be fun James :D

Cheers, Christian B)

Goes to show you thattruth can be stranger than fiction. When I first saw that posted as an acquisition, I thought it was a sci-fi or steampunk design.

Thanks for the history lesson james! (y)

Very Steampunkish ain't it? All that electricity under the water in a suit that's not even water tight, man you're just asking for trouble.

My inner nerd is loving this! Engineering at its finest! Or its worst - hard to tell the difference sometimes! :tomato

Here is a cool website page on this ugly thing!
http://cyberneticzoo.com/underwater-robotics/1910-submarine-armor-chester-e-macduffee-american/

Regards,

Here is a cool website page on this ugly thing!
http://cyberneticzoo.com/underwater-robotics/1910-submarine-armor-chester-e-macduffee-american/

Regards,

Thanks Saul. That site has a bit more than the others I have found. Appreciate it. There are some pics from the back that I was missing.
James

Way cool ! (y) (y)

Scale/ brand ?

Reading their facebook page there is no scale but each are about 15cm I believe. To order write to walter@jupiter.ocn.ne.jp
If you have facebook more can be seen at Futuristic Robots. He cyrrently has 2 other suits and a another on the way.
Each comes with a really nice engraved/embossed brass plaque.
I will see how this goes and maybe get the rest in the series. The price is most excellent at $75.00 including shipping.
James

Back