• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

At a Loss

Big10

Hello all, it has been some time that I have worked on anything. Took a long hiatus and decided that I needed a figure for one of my Wing Nuts kit that I have recently finished.

Now I have never attempted to paint a figure and this is a first for me. I am stuck of what to do with the eyes. The figure is a elan13 1/32 scale I believe.

I am not too happy with my skin color but it is going to take more time painting faces before I am really comfortable with it. I am leavening the skin tone where it is at because I am tired of looking at this S.O.B through my visors. :bang head Any suggestion for my next figure on the flesh will be greatly appreciated.

All I have for flesh colors is Andrea Flesh color set I bought a long time ago.

Anyways, here are some pics where I am now.

And A close up of the head.

Thanks for any help.

He does look a bit greyed out..maybe a rough flight. Color is what that gent needs. Some more blush to the cheeks maybe? He looks good to me though, I would be happy with it as is.

Maybe someone who knows what they are talking about can help out.

So..you gonna share that WnW? :popcorn

Hey MoonPuppy, how you been? Yea, he may need some more color but I am not going to try to make it better. I feel like I would probably make it worse.

I am looking for ideas on the eyes and how to go about it.

As for as the WnW, here is a little sneak peak.

Not to bad for an old man...:eek:ldguy

That Albatross is fantastic! :popcorn

Stand by, I know the rest of the guys will have some good suggestions.

MORE PICTURES

Agreed about the photos.

As for the figure John, other than the grayish cast Bob mentioned, the left eye seems slightly bigger. Without repainting it, you can use it to your advantage by creating a magnification illusion. Simply punch out a clear slug and create an monocle.
picture

Regards,

Excellent first figure there Big.

As a rule of thumb I always go for a darker base colour when painting faces that way you can bring out the highlights to your liking. As for your face its looking a little bit too pink and needs a good brown shade as a base.

Painting eyes will be and always will be a complete and utter pain in the arse at that scale its something that you have to hone with practice I still have trouble painting them.

The face below is a simple method of simply painting a black T shape, the line across the top is the upper eye lid and eye lashes and the thick line down is to represent the eye itself I know its a cheaters method but it does work. The eye and iris can then be enhanced with as i say a bit of practice.I hardly ever bother with a pupil as youd never see it.
Facewise this face has some really exaggerated shadows under the nose and lips and some basic shading either side of the nostrils etc but if you half close your eyes and move further way then the face becomes much better with a longer perspective.

hdf95bb0.jpg

Heres a real awful close up of a blue eye and of course you are not going to be able to see that close in with the naked eye but it does show what you can do. The second picture is of the head on my profile picture and does look a lot better further away.

hdcf6a25.JPG

h527fee8.JPG

hb56e507.JPG

Finally heres the face a bit further away and looking much better

h89f2522_2015-07-28.JPG

Heres a youtube vid of MA member Dave youngquist on painting eyes
https://youtu.be/qKs_mBBNN0w

Please shout out if you need any advice

Yeah Thanks Andy for sharing .... scared to the death of painting ... but ZI do love acrylic paint .... (y)

Thank you so much Andy for taking the time and leaving a well detail post. Lost of good information in your post. I have watched the video you left and I am now subscribe to that channel. He makes it look too easy.

I do not think I will attempt to fix my guy. Live and learn and all that,lol.

I believe I will be trying all that you left on a larger scale figure. I am looking at getting one of Alpine Miniatures 1/16 scale figures. Been looking at the WWII US Paratrooper to try my luck on.

Does any one have a pic of a 1/16 figure next to something for scale purposes?

Thanks again Andy.

Sorry but I thought I had replied to this so much apologies I will get you a comparison shot for you if you havnt already sought that info elsewhere

Back