• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

South Jersey 2111 garage

Cheyenne

The tanker is 99% finished so I figured I'd start a new posting on the garage build .

First I took 1/4 inch foam board [ artists board/presentation board ] and made my rectangle shape of the garage .
Next I cut out my garage doors , windows and doors .
I then used 1/2 inch basswood stripping to frame the openings .
The windows and doors will be made seperate and slid in later .
The wood paneling is made from coffee stirs and the cinder block - cork .

Don't go makin fun of my wallpaper :laugh:

The opening in the funky wallpaper is a service desk - there will be an addition on that side of the garage for a parts department/office/cashier .

Picture1785.jpg

Picture1786.jpg

Picture1787.jpg

Picture1788.jpg

Picture1789.jpg

Picture1790.jpg

Picture1791.jpg

Picture1792.jpg

Picture1793.jpg

Picture1794.jpg

(y)
Wallpaper? :yipee :rotf :D
Looking good and the wallpaper will blend in nicely when it's finnished and weathered
//Mats

Very cool Glen. (y) (y) (y) (y) Once you put up the playboy centerfolds no one will notice the wall paper anyways
James

Guys it's 100 years in the future, by that time the mutants will rule! I think his posters should be more along this vein...

a13%7E0.jpg

Godzilla-Kyoko.jpg

Great work Glenn! :v

Thanks guys and gal , much appreciated !!!

Mike , thanks for the HOME IMPROVEMENT ref. I'll have to make sure there are some Binford signs in the dio !!!
I'll see if I can find a pic. of AL and Tim sellig Binford stuff and some how work it into the build .

I've finished the wood walls and the cinder block upper portions .
The 1/16th thick rectangles of cork were cut to 1/4 inch high by 1/2 inch long .

The block completed was then covered by regular old house spackle/joint compound/hole filler , spread all over the cork and joints using a square nosed pallete knife , leaving a skin of spackle on the block .
This was done so the primer wouldn't soak into the cork .
The reason I used spackle was because it shrinks while drying - this insures believable mortar joints between the block .
Cork sucks paint up unevenly , yet can be a good finish on some cinder block walls .
However I wanted the interior walls of the garage to look painted ........ thus the even paint look .

I was stumped for hours , a few beers and many ciggys to try and replicate a garage door system , like the one in your homes .
EPIC FAIL !!!
Then I remembered that this type of roll down garage door also exists and it was back to work .
Station down the street has them made out of some kind of Lexan or something .

Then everything was primed , ......... I'm going to work , more later .

Heyah Randy , thanks man ........

Picture1804.jpg

Picture1803.jpg

Picture1802.jpg

Picture1801.jpg

Picture1800.jpg

Picture1799.jpg

Picture1798.jpg

Picture1797.jpg

Picture1796.jpg

Picture1795.jpg

Not bad for a 100 year old door. :laugh: Must have got a new from the R.O.T. :hmmm

Looks great Glenn!!

(y)

T , thanks for bringing that up about the date and the time frame .
100 years is a looooong time and most things scavengable were most likely dust after 100 years .

I'm seriously thinging , ....... thinging , really idiot , ......... thinking about changing the time frame to just 20 years after 2011 to make the year 2031 , this way a lot more stuff would be laying around and usable , in a degraded manner yes , but at least still around .

Thoughts ?

I suppose you could model anything during the 100 year span. That would make a more in-depth story line.

B)

Back