• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

USMC 6th Tank Battalion M4A3 Okinawa 1945

This is where we are at as of this morning. Best evidence indicates the new M4A3's came ashore with armor panels welded to the hulls similar to those used on earlier dry stowage tanks. As the battle progressed the wading trunks disappeared and additional track link armor was welded pretty much all over the tank. Close examination of the suspension revealed that in most cases angle iron was welded to the bogies. This prevented charges being thrown under the tank.

DSCF4081.jpg

DSCF4083.jpg

DSCF4082.jpg

DSCF4086.jpg

G

I was able to spend all morning working on this build. Here's the latest. Perusing references it seems one front tow shackle was used to anchor the cable, the other was commonly seen clipped to a hull lifting eye.

One rack held spare track links, one held the improvised TI phone. I replicated that and will sculpt a phone bag.

Apoxie sculpt sandbags and stowage next.

DSCF4087.jpg

DSCF4088.jpg

DSCF4089.jpg

DSCF4094.jpg

DSCF4090.jpg

G

Last update for a while as I start my workweek tomorrow.

I made the sandbags from Milliput. That's why I didn't sand off the uneeded growser bin covers.

DSCF4100.jpg

DSCF4096.jpg

DSCF4098.jpg

DSCF4099.jpg

I had some accessory sets lying around and found this knapsack. It looks better than what I could sculpt so it is now my TI phone bag.

DSCF4097.jpg

G

I had the morning to myself so I added some color. References show some tanks had a black camo pattern which was most likely added prior to landing,si it was mainly covered by track links. These are the base colors, I'll weather from here.

DSCF4102.jpg

DSCF4103.jpg

DSCF4104.jpg

DSCF4105.jpg

G

Hey, this baby looks great, AgentG! I'll dub it Tracky McTracklinks. I love to see camo on an allied project- and all the personal gear works perfectly.

Cheers!
chuk

Thanks guys!

I really like the way it came out. I feel like I did it justice. Of course being a Marine myself helped with the motivation to get it right.

Ouhh Rahh!

G

Good job, Well played tribute for the first Dave Harper Marine Corp Gallery ribbon...we just haven't had time to come up with the ribbon just yet. Hang tight though, we have a bunch coming from the creative crowd soon..

Back