• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/72 Lockheed F-104C Starfighter

Flyingbabydoc

Hello dear friends,

I had this one kit in my stash and had not paid much Attention to it, but as I saw that one of the Versions was a Vietnam plane I thought "why not"?

This will be OOB since I want to finish the Me-163 Diorama first.

So I am building a Lockheed F-104 C-5-Lo Starfighter based at Udorn RTAB (Thailand) in 1968. Lots of fuel tanks and 2 sidewinders. Now I don't know much about Nam (I do not understand the Charlie don't surf Expression) but I am assuming the F-104 did not Play a significant role in that war. In any case, here it goes.

Cheers

Alex

he3c9adc.JPG

h4079564.JPG

hba47fe6.JPG

Welcome to the build campaign. I look forward to seeing your progress on this model.

To explain the meaning behind "Charlie don't surf," in the movie Apocalypse Now, after an air assault takes place to size an objective and the area is being secured, the commander of the Air Cave unit who is an avid surfer has some of his soldiers who are also surfers change out of their uniforms so they can surf in an area where enough waves are formed so they actually can surf. An incoming mortar round comes in. There are some questions about whether it is safe to surf or not. Ultimately, the end of the conversation is, "Charlie don't surf!" It probably does not make total sense unless if you watch the movie.

Cheers,
James

Thanks James!

I did not want to come out as a Nekulturny but I saw that movie only once a loooong time ago, and I do not remember that Scene you mentioned. Time to see it again!

I am looking Forward to building the Starfighter. I had never seen one in this camo scheme, should be interesting.

Thanks again

Alex

I think this will explain it fully.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30QzJKCUekQ

Actually that line isn't in that clip. It was the night before when they were planning the attack but this is just a damn cool scene.

Greatest actor ever, Robert Duvall.

Alex, press on...:popcorn

Thanks guys!

Bob, that is an awesome Scene. I must see the movie again.

Dave, I am really outside my comfort Zone here. I hope I don't screw up too badly.

I should start work on the Starfighter within a week or so.

Cheers

Alex

Tell you what my friend I have an ESCI 1/72 Starfighter with some Vietnam decals myself. If you want to I will challenge you to a Starfighter buildalong. That should be some fun wont it?

I think this will explain it fully.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30QzJKCUekQ

Actually that line isn't in that clip. It was the night before when they were planning the attack but this is just a damn cool scene.

Greatest actor ever, Robert Duvall.

Alex, press on...:popcorn

The after effects of TBI somewhat cloud some of my memory at times. I've come a long way and modeling is definitely a great therapy for the problems I encountered with TBI. I am fortunate that I have recovered fairly well. Anyway, I should have remembered that the line came from the cook out the night before the air assault. The lines that came from after the air strike when LTC Kilgore told his surfers to suit up and they were complaining that it was still hot (in regards to fighting still going on), LTC Kilgore said something like, "Do you want to fight, son? Good, because you either surf or you fight."

Cheers,
James

Hi guys

@ Dave: you're on mate! I can start next week. How does this build along works? In any case, you will show me how it's done!
@ James: I cannot imagine what it must have been. I reckon there are many veterans in here, from different wars, and I guess modeling is a way to cope with what has happened. I do hope it helps you.
Cheers

Alex

Ahw its easy I will create a thread for our buildalong (Maybe some others will join in also) we both post startup pictures on the thread and then when you say we start and give each other as much as possible grief - compliments or just general heckling IE just having fun :geek

https://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/charlie-don-t-surf-3/153111-starfighters-a-buildalong#297169

Back