• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Navy Seabee, Dong Tam, RVN '67- COMPLETE

JamesOLeary

Master at Arms
My next project for this campaign will be a figure of a Navy Seabee. They did a big portion of the construction of the Mobile Riverine Force's main base at Dong Tam and this project is going to be based on this photo. Mec Models produces several sets of base signs and this sign is part of one of those sets. I am still undecided as to which figure I am going to use to be standing beside the sign. I am leaning towards converting one of the 1st Cav figures from Hobby Fan since they are wearing the stateside OG-107 fatigues that were common clothing for the Seabees at the time.

belanger-Welcome-to-DongTam-sign-550x369.jpg

p-dong-tam-sign.jpg

This is not going to be one of those 3 to 12 day rush jobs as I have too many other things going on to dedicate more than an hour or two a day, but I hope to have it done by this time next month...or earlier if I can swing it.

Cheers,
James

Navy Seabee, Dong Tam, RVN 1967

I chose to use one of the figures from Hobby Fan's 1st CAV DIV LZ X-RAY kit for the figure conversion. There really is not much to convert. First I removed the web gear by scraping it away with a sharp blade.

100_6130.JPG

100_6131.JPG

I then used a Hornet head as a replacement to the comical looking one from the Hobby Fan kit. For the 8-point cover, I used the cover from a Bravo 6 figure and built up the sides and top to form a more squared away looking cover. Putty was added to fill in areas that were scraped away and flattened. The belt buckle and belt loops were also added with putty. The pistol was removed from the right hand and the hand was hollowed out. I glued on arms and now I just have to do some sanding and add a bit more putty to the figure.

100_6143.JPG

100_6144.JPG

100_6145.JPG

100_6146.JPG

Here is the figure with the sign from Mec Models. The printed sign is a bit small compared to the photo that is at the beginning of this thread, but I think I can make it work fine.

100_6147.JPG

More to follow...in a day or two or three. :)

Cheers,
James

Thanks, Guys.

This morning I applied the primer coat so I could start painting the figure this evening. I was hoping to show pictures of each step of painting the face, but the pictures did not come out clearly even though I tried using the close up feature on my camera.

The first step was to do the eyes. First I painted the pupil of the eye, then shaped the eye by outlining it with black. I also blocked in the cover and the collar of the shirt and t-shirt.

100_6151.JPG

100_6152.JPG

100_6153.JPG

Here is the figure with the face painted and the base shadow color applied to the figure.

100_6156.JPG

100_6157.JPG

100_6158.JPG

100_6159.JPG

100_6160.JPG

100_6161.JPG

100_6163.JPG

100_6165.JPG

100_6166.JPG

I am going to allow the base shadow color of the uniform cure overnight so when I place in the base color, highlights, and shadows, it won't rub away like has happened to me in the past.

Until next time...
Cheers,
James

What a snarl. Thanks for taking the time to show the process James :popcorn

Here's my progress for today...

I have the uniform painted with the arms and boots needing to be completed. On the uniform you will see the Sailor's nametag, US Navy strip, and Seabee patch on his left pocket.

100_6167.JPG

100_6168.JPG

100_6169.JPG

100_6170.JPG

100_6171.JPG

100_6172.JPG

100_6173.JPG

100_6174.JPG

100_6175.JPG

100_6176.JPG

I won't be able to work on this figure again until Saturday or Sunday, so there will not be an update until then.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,
James

I'd say the figure is completed, but I still need to make the base and sign. I think he turned out fairly well. This guy and the Air Force guy were a bit out of the ordinary for me since their uniforms were clean and their boots were not scuffed up like they are on most of my figures.

100_6177.JPG

100_6178.JPG

100_6179.JPG

100_6180.JPG

100_6181.JPG

100_6182.JPG

100_6183.JPG

100_6184.JPG

100_6185.JPG

Now to work on the base and sign...

Cheers,
James

Thanks, Duke.

Today I had some time to work on the sign and to start on the base. Since the Mec Models sign that was the inspiration for me to start this project was a bit small when compared to pictures of the actual sign with a person standing next to it for scale, my friend Bill Rambow (who is a veteran who served with 2d BN 47th INF (MECH) 9th INF DIV in Vietnam) who is pretty good at computer graphics took the picture of the actual sign and did some magic to get it to be the right size. I printed a few copies of the sign since I can't seem to be able to cut a straight line to save my life. Here are the last two prior to cutting.

100_6186.JPG

I then wanted to place the paper sign onto some balsa wood to act as two sheets of plywood. I took this type of balsa wood sheet and cut two sections of it. Actually, I ended up cutting several, but only two worked out to be fairly square on the ends. Like I said, I can't seem to be able to cut a straight line to save my life.

100_6187.JPG

After cutting the paper sign and the balsa wood, I glued the paper to the balsa wood. I then used this kind of balsa wood for the support beams that hold the sign up.

100_6188.JPG

I glued the support beams onto the back of the balsa wood that are in line with the "nails" on the sign. I used clothes pins to clamp them until the glue dried.

100_6189.JPG

100_6190.JPG

The sign is pretty big and I did not have any single figure type bases for it, so I used a trophy base to place the groundwork material on. I used Magic Sculpt textured with a toothbrush for the groundwork. I then stuck the sign into place, made track impressions with a piece of M113 track, and put the figure in it's place momentarily to get the footprints in place and then removed him so the putty could dry.

100_6194.JPG

Within the next couple of days I hope to have the groundwork painted, some grass added, and the figure glued on to complete this project.

Cheers,
James

Back