• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Main Force Viet Cong, Long An Province COMPLETE!

JamesOLeary

Master at Arms
Well, after how well the "Corpsman Up!" vignette went together, I was sitting around thinking about how much work I would have to do on the M132 in a few days to get it completed for Soonercon and realized that if I rushed it, it just wouldn't look good and decided that I'd like to do another quick vignette which I would be able to get completed in time. I looked through my figures and these are the ones I chose to build straight out of the box (which is very rare for me to do) as I figured they would go together quickly and painting should be pretty quick as well. This vignette is of two Main Force Viet Cong who were the enemy of 9th Infantry Division Soldiers in Long An Province of Vietnam in 1967.

100_5951.JPG

I started this project on 6 June 2017. Right after I took this photo, I cut the pieces off their blocks, scraped away some minor mold seams, and glued them together. The fit was pretty good, but I still used some putty at the shoulders and filled in one air bubble in the resin. The putty was dry in about two hours and by the afternoon I was able to wash the figures and get them primed with Tamiya primer. I had a blemish to remove and then I let the primer cure overnight. The next morning, I got started on the standing figure. Since there were not many colors to paint, the painting of this figure went quickly. The painting of the black pajamas was pretty simple since all I did was paint a base coat of black and then just drybrushed successively lighter shades for the highlights. The equipment took longer to paint since there were more variations in shading. I might still need to do a bit thicker outlining of some details with black.

100_5952.JPG

100_5953.JPG

I started the second figure late last night and got this far this afternoon. The trousers were a bit more difficult than the black ones on the other figure since I actually had to try to shade and highlight them. I still have some touch up to do which I hope to have completed later tonight or tomorrow morning. Tomorrow I will be busting ass to try to get the base completed which I think is doable.

100_5954.JPG

100_5955.JPG

100_5956.JPG

Since the show is on Saturday, and I have a full night and day of work to get this completed, I probably won't get back on the computer with updated photos until after the show, so probably on Sunday.

Cheers,
James

Main Force Viet Cong, Long An Province, RVN 1967

No, I don't waste time :) however, my wife said that this is it and now I have to concentrate on doing more stuff around the house and land again since Soonercon has now come and gone. I will still work on more projects, but I won't be able to dedicate entire days to them, just an hour or two here and there.

Anyway, here is what I started with in regards to the base. I took some Magic Sculpt and spread it across the base. I then textured it with a toothbrush and "planted" these preserved plants.

100_5957.JPG

100_5958.JPG

100_5959.JPG

I then painted the white parts flat black and drybrushed various earth colors onto the ground. The final coat was a pigment mixture that represented the color of the soil in Long An Province. Various plant scraps were then sprinkled over white glue to represent the ground clutter. Finally, the figures were glued to the base. I think this turned out fairly well when you consider how quickly I put it together. It may not be one of my best works, but it isn't bad and I think it was a good representation of the Viet Cong.

100_5980.JPG

100_5981.JPG

100_5982.JPG

100_5983.JPG

100_5984.JPG

100_5985.JPG

100_5986.JPG

Another project complete...North / VC ribbon...Check.

Cheers,
James

Back