• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Sharkman's 1/72 Kawanishi H6K4-L Mavis (Hasegawa)

sharkman

Master at Arms
Made my donation! My place holder with a few reference images!

Larger image of the previous

Same aircraft in the water

Excited for Tuesday! I'll have to make a few mods to the kit to make it an H6K4.

:geek

Over the years I have had two different issues of this kit, the later one was better but both had a lot of sink marks on the upper wing center section and of course if you fix them you sand away all the nice raised rivet detail. Are you planning on sanding them all off and rescribing or have something else in mind ?

looking forward to what you do with this one ! :drinks

Over the years I have had two different issues of this kit, the later one was better but both had a lot of sink marks on the upper wing center section and of course if you fix them you sand away all the nice raised rivet detail. Are you planning on sanding them all off and rescribing or have something else in mind ?

looking forward to what you do with this one ! :drinks

There's always Archers rivet detail that can be added back.

Thanks guys!

Gary, hadn't thought that far ahead yet. i did read that you mentioned the sink marks in the review of this kit on your site.

Have to say I wasn't planning on re-scribing the whole thing so maybe Archer's transfers would be worth a try!

So, I've been itching to start this kit since I bought it 2 weeks ago. Plus, i had a super crazy day at work and needed some time to unwind so I set parts to soak when I got home and dived in once the kids were in bed!

These are the sink marks Gary was referring to in the main wing

There are a few small ones in the body that will have to be dealt with too.

The engines are nice, going to require a bit of clean up and maybe some wires, but the cylinders were not staggered when I dry-fitted them. had to cut off the aligning tab.

SInce I am doing the plane in my reference pics with surrender markings, it is an H6K4-L, an unarmed transport version. Therefore, the side bubbles have to be filled in. Started with a little internal bracing, and then cut some panels from sheet plastic to fill the outside holes. I believe the reference pics are from the okohama slipway of Dai Nippon Koku K.K., September 1945.

The cockpit is wrong in this kit, the pilots and observer were seated in elevated seats with a central walkway in between so I'll have to modify this!

Got the flaps built tonight because they were simple!

and the 4 engines cleaned up some and assembled

I next put some tape around the openings for the bubbles to try and preserve some of the detail and then puttied it up! Did the same with the rear door, it is in the wrong location, should be just forward of the second step in the hull.

Lastly, I just dry-fitted the wing. It's a big one! Almost the size of my 48 scale PBY wing!!

:popcorn Hasegawa has released this kit several times but has never seen fit to cure the sink mark issue. It's really a shame as the raised rivet detail is quite fine. Replacing all that would be damaged filling all the sink holes with Archers would be almost as laborious as filling all the rivet divots on my RA-5C.

Thanks All!

:popcorn Hasegawa has released this kit several times but has never seen fit to cure the sink mark issue. It's really a shame as the raised rivet detail is quite fine. Replacing all that would be damaged filling all the sink holes with Archers would be almost as laborious as filling all the rivet divots on my RA-5C.

Might try laying some tape like I did with the other sections to avoid as much loss to the rivet detail as I can!

We'll see! I would rather keep the rivets than re-scribe the whole thing...

I don't blame you, I hate rescribing even more that sanding and filling ! I'm sure what ever you do it will look great !

Back