Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Logistics, The Figures Updated November 11th, 2017

Logistics, The Figures Updated October 17th, 2017 21 Oct 2017 07:46 #469

Beautiful work.

Master Box and MiniArt have really stepped up their game in the past few years. Leaps and bounds ahead of what Tamiya used to drop on the sprue tree. The subject matter is great too.
  • ausf
  • ausf
  • Division Commander
    Division Commander
What, me worry?

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Logistics, The Figures Updated October 17th, 2017 21 Oct 2017 09:48 #470

sharkman wrote:
These look amazing bob! :thumbsup

Over 400 and 4-5 hrs a piece???? That's a lot of time!!! :ohmy:

Thanks Warren,

You're telling me that's a lot of time??? I originally started this with the idea of 275 figures, but as i have went along, it has gradually risen to now, 435. The name, "Logistics", is an indicator of what I am trying to illustrate. One huge massive traffic jam, such as existed in the ETO in the last months of the war. The 56 vehicles have taken a huge amount of time as well. I have all but three of those built and painted, and most are either finished or nearing completion.

I have about half the figures completely finished, (200), another 230 built and maybe more than half of them nearing completion. When I wrap up the vehicles and figures, I'll be close, but there is still work to do on the base and buildings.

I am fully aware this will be my last big one, way too old to ever start another.

Bob

Logistics, The Figures Updated October 17th, 2017 21 Oct 2017 09:55 #471

ausf wrote:
Beautiful work.

Master Box and MiniArt have really stepped up their game in the past few years. Leaps and bounds ahead of what Tamiya used to drop on the sprue tree. The subject matter is great too.

I agree 100%, both in subject and quality! They sure as hell have my my job on this diorama easier. Masterbox has some great stuff and, generally their quality is great, Miniart's figures, IMO however, are the best plastic diorama figures anywhere on the market today. Dragon has some great ones as well. I favor Miniart because they come in such great poses and detail, I can use many of them with little or no posing and/or detailing, saves me a hell of a lot of time!

Bob

Logistics, The Figures Updated October 17th, 2017 21 Oct 2017 10:12 #472

Miniart for figures would be my choice too. I have just seen a pile today at the Sydney show, lots to chose from !!!

Hornet heads look nice too, not that I am expert in figures or anything :bgrin

Laurence
  • White_Wolf
  • White_Wolf
  • Division Commander
    Division Commander

Logistics, The Figures Updated October 17th, 2017 21 Oct 2017 10:42 #473

White_Wolf wrote:
Miniart for figures would be my choice too. I have just seen a pile today at the Sydney show, lots to chose from !!!

Hornet heads look nice too, not that I am expert in figures or anything :bgrin

Laurence

Roger Saunders, who both owns Hornet and does all his own sculpting, is one of the very best. In fact, you can see his heads on almost every brand of resin figures. They have been pirated for years by free lance sculptors who don't want to take the time, or didn't have the talent to sculpt their own heads. Roger is a nice guy and I have always felt bad about that, but, so many sculptors pirated his heads, it has almost became commonplace.

You don't have to be an expert to recognize quality! I seldom keep up with new releases, and depend on a couple of buddies who do to tell me this or that has been released and possibly useful on my diorama Logistics, but, I have found myself on the Miniart website a lot lately!

Bob

Logistics, The Figures Updated October 17th, 2017 25 Oct 2017 03:34 #474

Bob, Just stopped in to check on the progress. It's Awesome! :good :good :good :good
STEVE
IF, I built the perfect model today.... wonder what I'd do tomorrow?

Logistics, The Figures Updated October 17th, 2017 25 Oct 2017 15:32 #475

Prop Duster wrote:
Bob, Just stopped in to check on the progress. It's Awesome! :good :good :good :good

Thanks Steve,

Nice of you to drop by!

Logistics, The Figures Updated October 17th, 2017 29 Oct 2017 13:43 #476

Perfect sir!....Bob, did you use oils for the flesh tones?

:drinks

Luiz
  • lupanzer
  • lupanzer
  • Master at Arms
    Master at Arms

Logistics, The Figures Updated October 17th, 2017 29 Oct 2017 14:16 #477

lupanzer wrote:
Perfect sir!....Bob, did you use oils for the flesh tones?

:drinks

Luiz

Thanks Luiz!

I always use oils for flesh tones. Humbrol enamels and Vallejo acrylics for uniforms and equipment. I have been experimenting the last month using very fine, (005), ink pens to create tiny lines on both the flesh tones and the uniforms. The next time I post some figures, I'll let you know how the experiment turned out.

I recently discovered the micro felt tip pins at an art store. They come in many colors, black, white, brown, blue, red and so on, including the metallics. The smallest are .005 and you can make lines much finer than with any brush, even the Winsor-Newton Seven series sables in 00000 size! Plus, so far, the ink is opaque and covers even the artist's oils well!

Bob

Logistics, The Figures Updated October 17th, 2017 29 Oct 2017 23:15 #478

Thank you! :good :good

Luiz
  • lupanzer
  • lupanzer
  • Master at Arms
    Master at Arms

Logistics, The Figures Updated October 17th, 2017 07 Nov 2017 13:12 #479

lupanzer wrote:
Thank you! :good :good

Luiz

You're more than welcome Sir!

Bob

Logistics, The Figures Updated October 17th, 2017 11 Nov 2017 12:54 #480

I've been working on both figures and vehicles lately. I am bringing up the total of figures to 435. I still have three boxes of Miniart figures to build to reach that total. Here are some I just built. None of these posted are finished, all in progress. These are MPs, I have another two boxes of these. The reason is all the brass that will be in the diorama, both American and British, as well as a couple of high ranking German officers who will be questioned by the American officers. I think MPs would have been everywhere considering.

These three are for the M4A3E2 Jumbo that i finished some time ago, but felt I needed additional tank riders to bring it up to par with the last two Shermans.

Three more 101st Airborne troopers to add to the marching column.

Another crew and riders for one of the Shermans.

Finally, I thought I'd show you how I work. I straighten up my modeling desk about once a month, but, after only a couple of days, it always looks like this. I end up working most of the time in an area of about 6 square inches!. Silly? Yep, but I'm too old for new tricks these days!

Bob

Last Edit: 11 Nov 2017 13:14 by bob letterman.
Time to create page: 1.138 seconds