• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Workshop/Marquee Finished. Updated Dec. 19th, 2017

bob letterman

Master at Arms
Staff member
The Museum in our house' lower level is finally being finished. Another month should do it and then I plan to do two projects in a step by step here as I think there will be some interest. First, besides the museum which takes up 80% of the lower level, I have a media room that will serve as a nice place for friends and relatives to watch movies and be entertained. I have all the materials I need to build a miniature 1/8th scale movie Marquee to go over the door outside the room that will be in the museum proper. It will be elaborate and, if my plans work out, should be pretty cool. It will have more than a hundred miniature lights, a backlit marquee with all the text, "Now Playing, Cinema, etc., etc.

Here are a couple of photos of the media room so you can get an idea of the ambiance I want.

IMG_2538_zpsmkqfac48.jpg

IMG_2537_zpsxx3kj7j6.jpg

IMG_2539_zpsroql4hkl.jpg

IMG_2542_zpsro88qth3.jpg

IMG_2541_zpsrvipo6m8.jpg

Anyway, you get the idea.

On the entrance to this room, which will be in the museum, I want to build a 1/8th scale marquee to go over the door with framed movie posters on either side of the door. It will be the old fashioned type, done in a brass patina that has turned a blue green over time. Such as this cabinet I built for my daughter as a step by step here on MA.

https://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/bob-letterman/116233-another-birthday-project-delivered-dec-12-2012

Marquee02_zpsdlfguivt.jpeg

Something similar to these.

Marquee01_zpsuvcdeirb.jpg

Marquee03_zpshylx6cco.png

Of course, the one I will build will be in miniature and not quite as elaborate, but have "The Look" of a real marquee.

Then, along with this, I will build a new workshop. I don't have the space I had at our last house where I actually had two workshops, so this one will be compact and efficient..... Hopefully.

I plan on doing the marquee first, but may end up building them simultaneously.

I hope to get started in the next couple of weeks.

A Dual Project

Can't wait to visit one day Bob ... after we get our home paid for we're going on a trip ... I could work a stop in for your place ... looks very good I might even have to take in a show while I'm there ... :hmmm (y)

A Dual Project

Full scale modeling. Love it!

I'm particularly loving the bookshelves. While the design isn't fancy...they look to have a very warm & inviting color. The grain is lovely.

A Dual Project

Can't wait to visit one day Bob ... after we get our home paid for we're going on a trip ... I could work a stop in for your place ... looks very good I might even have to take in a show while I'm there ... :hmmm (y)

Sure, we live right off I-44 on the Springfield, Missouri exit #75. Easy to find! If you have never seen the museum it is something really special. There is a pictorial tour of the last location here on MA. Check it out! Susan was helping me work on it yesterday and she kept saying, "This is going to look so much better and a lot more interesting than the last one. I agree, it already looks great and not even finished!

https://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/bob-letterman/1371-a-private-museum

For you guys that would like to visit after it is finished, be sure to email me first to makes sure we are in town or have previous plans!

Bob

A Dual Project

Full scale modeling. Love it!

I'm particularly loving the bookshelves. While the design isn't fancy...they look to have a very warm & inviting color. The grain is lovely.

Thanks,

I have put a lot more in this room than is visible to the camera. The sofa is a recliner and the two darker Euro-recliners both heat and massage, even the footstools that go with them. It has a very sophisticated Bose surround sound system that, in this room, equal the sound effect of a full size theater. (Think Top Gun on this system), and, although in the photos it doesn't look it, the TV is 80 inches, full bar, well stocked with a fridge and freezer. I once had more than 5500 movies in my collection. When we moved, I gave away most of the 2500 VHS tapes, (Keeping only the rare ones never released on DVD), and now I am down to a little over 3000 DVDs. Those book cases are all solid oak.

A Dual Project

I think I probably have ya beat on the number of videos Bob (but probably not by much).

Nice set up! Not sure when I will be heading back to Tulsa and then it will have to be a trip where I am staying for a few days so that there can be a road trip to Springfield. Sometime soon though.

A Dual Project updated Aug. 16th, 2016

I think I probably have ya beat on the number of videos Bob (but probably not by much).

Nice set up! Not sure when I will be heading back to Tulsa and then it will have to be a trip where I am staying for a few days so that there can be a road trip to Springfield. Sometime soon though.

Glad to have you!

You can take I-44 east from Tulsa all the way to our house, just off I-44, 183 miles from Tulsa.. Be sure and give us advance notice as we are retired and travel a lot!

Bob

A Dual Project

Sure, we live right off I-44 on the Springfield, Missouri exit #75. Easy to find! If you have never seen the museum it is something really special. There is a pictorial tour of the last location here on MA. Check it out! Susan was helping me work on it yesterday and she kept saying, "This is going to look so much better and a lot more interesting than the last one. I agree, it already looks great and not even finished!

For you guys that would like to visit after it is finished, be sure to email me first to makes sure we are in town or have previous plans!

Bob

Will do Bob ... like you ... still a couple of years in the future ... will see, only thing not sure the fridge is quite big enough ... :rotf

A Dual Project

Bob

Will do Bob ... like you ... still a couple of years in the future ... will see, only thing not sure the fridge is quite big enough ... :rotf

Not to worry, there are two more upstairs! :yipee

A Dual Project

Looks great so far Bob-- wish I was a bit closer but NY is a ways away ;)

Was looking at what was in the media room bar-- see some gin and tequila and the like...but the whiskey is hard to spot ;) Was curious what you had in that department ;)

A Dual Project

Looks great so far Bob-- wish I was a bit closer but NY is a ways away ;)

Was looking at what was in the media room bar-- see some gin and tequila and the like...but the whiskey is hard to spot ;) Was curious what you had in that department ;)

I have pretty much covered the entire spectrum. I usually only drink wine, but I'm prepared for anybody who visits. In the whiskey department, I have several brands of scotch, including Glenfiddich and Chivas Regal, several brands of Bourbon, Woodford Reserve, Jim Beam, Wild Turkey and so on, and several brands of whiskey, Jack Daniels, Seagrams 7, Johnny Walker, eta., etc. I have all the European brands of alcohol, Pernod, Cinzano, I think almost every brand of beer including, of course, Dos Equis, Stella Artois, most of the German and Mexican brands and all the American ones.

I also have another bar in the formal dining room upstairs.

Here are a couple of close ups of the bar.

IMG_2546_zpspt0glrzi.jpg

IMG_2547_zpsbjm3r5yt.jpg

Bob

A Dual Project

Excellent assortment :) My wife is the wine drinker of the family-- it puts me out after one glass. Although our local store does classes a few times a month and I found some summer wines I really enjoyed.

I can't do beer as much anymore due to reflux, but find an occasional dram of scotch or bourbon settles nicely after dinner. Celebrating another successful year of teaching tonight with a Kentucky Mule :)

A Dual Project

Oh man, what a nice setup. I'd kill to have that in my downstairs. Totally cool. :good:
What's with the 4-star General memorabilia?
That's not Stormin Norman Schwartzkopf is it?

Tim

A Dual Project

Oh man, what a nice setup. I'd kill to have that in my downstairs. Totally cool. :good:
What's with the 4-star General memorabilia?
That's not Stormin Norman Schwartzkopf is it?

Tim

Tim,

When this, along with two other collections, were in Old Town St. Charles, we were fortunate enough to have both hats and scarves autographed by both General Schwartzkopf and Colin Powell as well as Gen. Colin Powell's Desert Storm Helmet. All are documented by the Joint Chiefs of Staff office on their letterhead which is kept in a bank vault. There are many things in the museum that are not covered in the dialogue.

ColinP_zpsau80mcnu.jpg

A Dual Project

Looks like you have stocked in fairly well Bob ... Sure have a hankering for a cold lone Star ... You know Us Texans ... Nice dogs ... defiantly on my list of must sees ... :woohoo: (y) :soldier

Back