• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Saving an antique for a B-Day present 2011

bob letterman

Master at Arms
Staff member
I've had a lot of things going on and haven't been able to spend much time modeling. I've been working on a special project for my daughter Gail that I have just finished up. I was talking to Junior and he said I should post it even though it has nothing to do with models.

I had given the family antique Rosenthal china passed down three generations to my daughter Gail back in March, 2010. She didn't have a china cabinet to put them in so, as she likes that kind of furniture that has been restored, painted with an artsy touch, I decided to find one and have a go at doing it myself.

I looked through flea markets and second hand stores for months. Finally I found an old china cabinet that had promise. I managed to buy it for $150. When I got it home, I started to prepare to redo it and took out the shelves, removed the hardware, etc. Then, I noticed a bronze plate inside at the back wall. It said it was manufactured by the Rockford, Illinois Superior furniture company. That peaked my interest as Ralph Koebbeman, my business partner in the Miniature World museum spent his life in Rockford. Ralph passed away in January at the age of 96. I contacted his widow, Rosemarian, and inquired about that company. She too is 96 and had no recollection of the business.

CIMG2858.jpg

Long story short, I did the research and found that the cabinet was made in 1880, making it 130 years old. That, of course, changed everything. I spent some time doing my homework on restoring antiques. It is a very delicate process and set out to restore it instead of refinishing it. Here it was when i brought it home.

CIMG2848.jpg

It was really dirty, had built up wax and dirt from all those 120 years everywhere, one leg was very wobbly and some of the scrollwork was broken off.

CIMG2851.jpg

Molding.jpg

First came the repairs. The leg was far worse than I thought. It was held together by black wire tightened into two of the grooves. When I removed the wire, the leg fell off.

Break.jpg

I disassembled the bottom leg assembly and found that somebody had really did a poor job of repairing it after it had been severely damaged.

break2.jpg

I started rebuilding the leg using dowel pins and carpenters glue. Step by step, then clamping it and letting the glue cure. This took a couple of weeks.

Repair.jpg

repair2.jpg

As many of the fractured pieces of the leg were missing, after it was made strong and solid, I sculpted in the missing fragments with Milliput epoxy putty.

sculptedlega.jpg

Then I went to work on the missing scrollwork using the same epoxy.

scrollsculpt.jpg

After all the repairs were made, I then went to work painting the repaired parts. AS the epoxy wouldn't accept stain and match the original wood, I used artist's oils to color the repairs and blend with the natural color of the wood. It worked beautifully. After it had all hardened, I thoroughly cleaned the entire cabinet with an antique wood cleaning solution, then applied a hand rubbed wax and polished.

paintedleg.jpg

paintedscroll3.jpg

Here are some pics of the finished cabinet along with the restored parts.

chinafini05.jpg

CIMG2848.jpg

chinafini03.jpg

Cabinetfini01.jpg

Now it is finished and ready to deliver for her birthday in december. It isn't a surprise gift, she has been watching it being redone step by step with these photographs just as she watched me build the miniature Simpatico mansion for her last birthday right here on Modeler's alliance.

BTW, Susan and I will be leaving Friday the 28th, for a month long trip in the coach to the west coast and many places along the way. We;ll be visiting many friends out west. I'll be back at the modeling desk in late november. I always have my computer with me so we will still be posting on MA.

One more thing. Another Dollhouse magazine, this being an American one, just published an article about the miniature mansion in their december issue.

I'll make a separate post here of that.

Bob

What I've been up to

Really nice save on that leg Dad! Like I said, sculpting in 1:1 with miliput is modeling none the less. I know Gail will be proud!

What I've been up to

This is something I have done for years, my mom got me into re finishing- to bad I don't know upholstery since I have an ancient sofa i have been hanging onto because its near 7 foot long! Great work Bob, it is nice to build something you can actually use!

You say this has nothing to do with modeling? It's repairing, filling, filing, sanding, painting -staining, waxing, matching colors all the while making darn sure it doesn't fall apart (or OVER)as soon as you put something inside or on top of it! This is just building in 1/1 scale as the other Bob points out.

This is a great hobby. Reminds me that I need to start my desk and finish that darn rocker! CR

What I've been up to

Great full scale modeling!

I can't even make out the Milliput sections!

Regards,

What I've been up to

you put your modeling skills at good use here! nice work and wonderful to see such a nice cabinet saved! :)
//Mats

What I've been up to

Really nice save on that leg Dad! Like I said, sculpting in 1:1 with miliput is modeling none the less. I know Gail will be proud!

Thanks junior, yeah, I think sis will like it, I hope so!

Bob

This is something I have done for years, my mom got me into re finishing- to bad I don't know upholstery since I have an ancient sofa i have been hanging onto because its near 7 foot long! Great work Bob, it is nice to build something you can actually use!

You say this has nothing to do with modeling? It's repairing, filling, filing, sanding, painting -staining, waxing, matching colors all the while making darn sure it doesn't fall apart (or OVER)as soon as you put something inside or on top of it! This is just building in 1/1 scale as the other Bob points out.

This is a great hobby. Reminds me that I need to start my desk and finish that darn rocker! CR

Thanks CR, I never have done anything like it before, but it was interesting. I just kinda flew by the seat of my pants!

Bob

Awesome stuff Bob. Gail's one lucky daughter. (y) (y) (y)
James

THanks James, Naw, I'm one lucky father!

Bob

What I've been up to

Great full scale modeling!

I can't even make out the Milliput sections!

Regards,

Thanks Saul,

Good, you're not supposed to see the Milliput sections!

Bob

you put your modeling skills at good use here! nice work and wonderful to see such a nice cabinet saved! :)
//Mats

Thanks Mats,

I have used the modeling skills I have learned over the years to accomplish many things not related to modeling.

Bob

See, I told ya they'd like it!

OK Junior, it just seemed kinda weird to me!

Dad

Way to go, Bob!!! Well done!!! :notworthy

Thanks Gene, I appreciate that!

Bpb

What I've been up to

Bob,
Super job. Great finish on the cabinet.
Congratulations on the article in the Magazine also.
Cheers
John

What I've been up to

That is a very unusual piece, Bob and a masterful restoration. (y)

Back