• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Decision at Fontainebleau, a Shadowbox from 1998

bob letterman

Master at Arms
Staff member
Bob Letterman said:
Here are some pics I took recently of the last model I finished. I have been working on another, (IN WIP), for a long time and it is still far from finished. this is in 120mm scale. It is called "The Limits of Glory" and depicts Napoleon and his Marshalls at Fontainebleau palace debating his giving up the throne after Waterloo.

An overall shot. The marble is all hand painted, the floors are parquet bass wood stained and polished. I made various things like the books and bookcases and then cast them, The desk is made from scratch, as are the curtains, etc.

Limits1copy.jpg

At the time, Verlinden and I had only a single marshall in production at the time, so I had to convert six of them to various poses, then sculpt all the heads except the courier to resemble the real Marshalls. I used paintings of them to sculpt both them and Napoleon.

Limits2copy.jpg

A courier delivers a document. The fireplace works with miniature lighting and blinkers.

Limits3copy.jpg

Le Emperor.

Limits5copy.jpg

A shot of the ceiling with the chandelier.

Limits6copy.jpg

Re:My last finished project.

Where is the Jaw dropping emoticon...wow. On a side note I was at Fontainebleau 2 weeks ago on a tour with my wife. If you ever go to Paris take it in over Versailles it is a much more worthwhile visit IMHO.

I've said it before Bob, you are a talented man! ;)
The detailing would drive me nutty, so it seems you have the patience of a saint..
Ripping stuff mate. Well done!
Brad :woohoo:

Cam wrote:
Where is the Jaw dropping emoticon...wow. On a side note I was at Fontainebleau 2 weeks ago on a tour with my wife. If you ever go to Paris take it in over Versailles it is a much more worthwhile visit IMHO.

Thanks Cam,

I was at Fountainebleau back in the 70s. Long time ago. You are right, but I like Versailles as well!

Bob

BradJ wrote:
I've said it before Bob, you are a talented man! ;)
The detailing would drive me nutty, so it seems you have the patience of a saint..
Ripping stuff mate. Well done!
Brad :woohoo:

Thanks Brad,

Everybody says that! Actually, I am the most impatient guy I know. If you love doing something, it requires no patience!

Bob

After LOGISTICS this? Mr Letterman, i can only stand in silence and study this masterpiece :blink

This is one of my favorite works af art you have made! How much time did it took you to finish this masterpiece?

Erik

Thanks Teo, Jenny, Tanktrax and Erik,

It is great to hear really nice comments about my work. Everybody needs support!

I've found that the older you get, the more you appreciate them!

Bob

Dragunov wrote:
This is one of my favorite works af art you have made! How much time did it took you to finish this masterpiece?

Erik

Erik,

I didn't keep track of the time, but as I remember, it took about 4 months overall of part time modeling. Probably averaged around 3-4 hours a day, five days a week. Something like that.

Bob

Really nice work. It reminds me of a shodow box I've seen in Shep Paines second edition. It expands that one and really tells a wide story.
The detail is fantastic - from floor to ceiling.

You know, I haven't looked at the second edition since it was released. I know some of my work is in there, but can't remember which ones. Peter Twist had done a Napoleon shadowbox which was superb. That may be the one you are talking about.

We had it in Miniature World Museum for years.

Bob

Back