• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Logistics, The armor Updated May12, 2021.

bob letterman

Master at Arms
Staff member
Bob Letterman said:
Hi all,

I have decided to consolidate all my threads involved with the large diorama, Logistics, into five specific ones. (1) The base and buildings, (2) the soft skin vehicles, (3) the armor vehicles, (4), the Rail road models and (5) the figures. I will leave all the old threads where they are, but I will post the original topics here. Sorry, to include all your comments/responses would be way above my pay grade. When I do an armor update from now on, I will put them in this thread. This topic will eventually include ALL armored vehicles in the diorama except the ones in the GBs.

First, the old topic.

Here is a frontal pic of the M-32 B1 I am building for the new diorama "Logistics". The dio will have forty three vehicles and 2 - 300 figures on a 7' X 5' base. The basis this build is the Tasca kit with parts from the old Italeri M-32 and many photo-etch from Aber, Eduard, VP, and Trakz, plus some scratch parts and from the parts bin.

img_1309p1.jpg

Here is a rear view

m-32b-1.jpg

and a view of the side.

img_1295p2.jpg

Here are a few more photos, plus the last one base coated.

img_1321p2.jpg

m-32a.jpg

img_1295p2.jpg

m-32b1.jpg

I have to finish two of my GBs in order to meet the deadlines. When finished, I will build the remaining 7 Shermans and the destroyed Panzer IV J. They will be posted here.

Bob

Last edited:
Logistics, Tthe armor Update March 30th, 2017

I have recently began the armor for "Logistics" The M32 ARV is ready for weathering and detailing, but I want to do all the American armor assembly line style. The most important tank in the column of nine shermans is this one. Creighton Abrams' M4A3E8, "Thunderbolt Seven". From the 37th tank battalion, 4th armored division, Third Army. This tank will be adjacent to Patton standing on a crate directing traffic. Abrams will be giving his boss a salute and Patton returning it.

I had intended to do the conversion but Dragon released the version I needed. I am using a lot of PE both from the kit which is beautiful plus the ABER set.

Abrams1.jpg

I really love the way Dragon molded this. The rubber part of the wheels are separate and can be added after painting so I won't need those wheel masks.

This is where I am so far!

Abrams2.jpg

Bob

Re: Logistics, My New Diorama, the armor Update 12/01!

Amazing Bob !!!!

How many vehicles did you say were going onto the dio ?
and each of them detailed like these?
Does Susan ever get to see you ?
Do I go on too much ?

:D

Andy

Re: Logistics, My New Diorama, the armor Update 12

Hey Andy,

Altogether, there will be 44 vehicles in the diorama. A few are almost out of the box, some are highly converted, some are loaded with PE and Aluminum barrels. If the kit is Really detailed, then I don't add that much. All are complete with base coats except 2 more jeeps a panzer IV wrecked and seven Shermans. My plan is to begin converting and posing the 200 + figures after the first of the year. Once I have the vehicles all base coated and begin the weathering and fine detailing, I will be poppin' them out quickly.

Check out the two threads at the bottom of "Dioramas" for others.

Susan has her hobbies, usually I spend around four hours in the afternoon modeling and she does her thing then. Don't forget, we are retired! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Bob

Hey Bob , do not forget , in all the pictures I have seen of Thunderbolt seven the front left outer roadwheel is missing the rubber tyre . I think his driver must have done one to many sharp left hand turns :laugh: .

Jenny :kiss:

jenny croft wrote:
Hey Bob , do not forget , in all the pictures I have seen of Thunderbolt seven the front left outer roadwheel is missing the rubber tyre . I think his driver must have done one to many sharp left hand turns :laugh: .

Thanks Jenny, I will look into that!

Thanks Johnny.

Not too hard!

Bob

Re:Logistics, My New Diorama, the armor Update 12/01!

Hey Bob ,

I got some picatures for you of Thunderbolt VII

ThunderboltVII.jpg

Now I have a message for you too from Richie , he said to include the photo from behind and he said "Take note the spaced armour on the hull does not extend the full width of the fenders and that it does on the Dragon kit and needs to be halved " :unsure: well now I look at it you have the armour already stuck on :duh ! Oh well :idonno

You can see in the top photo the missing roadwheel rubber .

Re:Logistics, My New Diorama, the armor Update 12/

Hi Jenny,

I had never seen that rear shot. Richie is right. It is no big deal to remove them, sand them down and replace them. I will post a new pic when it is finished. Thanks to Richie, I would not have caught that but inevitably someone would have, more than likely right after I published a book on the diorama. :angry:

So, thanks to you both! :blush: :blush:

Bob

Oooooh a book !!!

Any chance of a TnT discount seeing as we are helping !! :D :whistle:

Absolutely!! Then you guys who would want it can say some prayers for me to live long enough to finish the damned thing!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Bob

Thanks Laura,

It really feels good to see you posting again!

Bob

B) I absolutely love the work you have done on that recovery Sherman - insane.

I have the thunderbolt Easy 8 as well, so I am following with interest any litle character bits that it has.

No wonder you are calling this logistics. The numbers you are quoting are mind boggling - I honestly couldn'y contemplate facing that amount of stuff to build and paint :blink :) .
Good to see a Bob L post again even if it just a move. Updates on the E8?.

Ian. :)

Lookin' good, Bob, and comin' along nicely. I can't wait to see the colum rollin' through town.
Randy

Hey Ian,

Richie gave me a great tip on Abram's tank. The kit part of the side hull add on armor is twice as thick as it should be. An easy fix, I just sanded them down to half-thickness!

Yeah, I just wanted to get all my stuff in one place, so I moved everything here.

Hey Randy,

Believe me, I can't wait to see the column rollin' through town either! :laugh: :laugh:

Bob

Re:Logistics My New Diorama, the armor Update 7/18

Here is my progress to date with the M-16. I had built the components, base coated them, and then Jenny asked me to do a review on the Griffon PE set. I finally made the decision to use what I could from the first one, and, because I had one that was damaged someone had returned, I could use it to replace any major parts that I wouldn't be able to use. The first two pics are of the original, before and after painting. I know, it's weird, I have always built using tiny components. :woohoo: :woohoo:

M-1601.jpg

M-16b-1.jpg

Then I got all this stuff!

Photoetch-1.jpg

So, I started out scrapping and replacing.

M-1602.jpg

Ken Abrams alert!! Ken, that white plastic holding up the radio case is temporary, I am building one of PE to replace it! Ken's knowledge of half tracks that makes me paranoid! :notworthy :notworthy :D :D

M-1603.jpg

M-1605-1.jpg

M-1606.jpg

Still quite a way to go on this one!

Bob

M-1607.jpg

M-1608.jpg

I want to include my "Extremely Little and Lethal GB here as it will be part of the armor on Logistics. I will have three German vehicles that are destroyed in the diorama, This Flakpanzer, a Mercedes truck, in the softskin thread, and a Panzer IV H that is in the process of being built!

The next two pics are of the components, (subassemblies), before and after base coating.

Flakpanzer-1.jpg

FlakpanzerProcessed-1.jpg

I used lots of weird parts for the mechanism that rotates the gun mount.

Flak02-1.jpg

When affixed to the diorama, I will add rubble underneath and around it, plus ashes from the burned road wheels, blown off parts and so on.

Flak03-1.jpg

Flak05-1.jpg

I believe these destroyed vehicles in an urban area that has just been occupied, will create some needed drama. I used the entire Griffon set for this vehicle. Very glad I did, that super detail set makes the wreckage more realistic!

Flak07-1.jpg

Flak08-1~0.jpg

Flak09-1~0.jpg

Later, Bob

Re:Logistics My New Diorama, the armor Update 7/18/10

That, as in everything I have seen as a whole, is sublime...

Regards,

Back