• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

A Scratch built 1:1 Scale Cabinet 2012

bob letterman

Master at Arms
Staff member
In December, 2009, I discovered a 47 year old daughter that I was never aware of. Many of you know the story, if you don't and are interested, here is a link.

http://www.bobletterman.com/wordpress/?cat=163

Her birthday is on December 8th and the following year I built her a miniature mansion for her 48th birthday and my first one as her father. I posted the build as an SBS on this site.

https://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/bob-letterman/25388-simpatico-finished-a-delivered-122310

CIMG2389-1.jpg

For 2011, I refurbished an antique china cabinet I lucked onto for her and also posted it here as well.

https://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/modelers-lounge/84947-what-ive-been-up-to

cabinet-fini011.jpg

Well, another year has rolled around and it seems some are interested in another 1:1 birthday present build for Gail, my daughter. Back in May, Gail and I took a father/daughter vacation to Kansas City. On our last day, we went to a very unique place that carried antiques, home furnishings and had an upscale restaurant on the top floor. While there, we walked into one of the many rooms and saw a corner curio cabinet that was striking and she fell in love with it. On close inspection, it was poorly crafted and even the finish, which made it unique, wasn't done well. Here are a couple of photos.

May72012014.jpg

May72012013.jpg

The price on this was outrageous, especially considering the poor workmanship. So, I told her I would make one for her birthday that would be much better in quality for far less money and still retain the dynamic that caught her eye, the bronze patina. Hell, I have been putting patinas on statues, roofs and gutters on my cityscape dioramas since the 60s. When I refurbished the antique china cabinet last year, I realized that working on furniture was definitely a lot like modeling and I could use many of the techniques I have learned or developed over all those decades in another field. This dio was began in the 70s. Note the roof and statue.

ygpc57b-1.jpg

You can see that the builder was trying to capture the Federalist style, but didn't bother to use a finial, and the oval wasn't cut evenly. It is higher on one side than the other. When I do cut the vault and opening on the top of the cabinet, I will cut one side first and then use it ,(reversed), as a pattern for the other side which in theory will result in a perfect opening. The finial will be between the two sides so there won't be a seam. I am finding that all that math and algebra I learned so many years ago is coming in handy! The arch that terminates the shelf opening will be made with a large drafting compass that I just happened to have from my days in college when I attended a Technical Institute. Gail wasn't even born yet. Here is a photo of a finial and a base that I will use.

[
DSCF1188.jpg

DSCF1189.jpg

As in the photos below, it will be placed dead center between the two sides.

CTYM13.jpg

With the Federalist style, the vault or pediment, (arch), at the top can be curved or straight. IMO, the straight, (As on the Kansas City curio), has a more proper federalist appearance as the curved ones seem to include a touch of Louis the 14th style. (Only natural as at the time the Federalist style came into existence the Louis the 14th style was dominant in Europe and undoubtedly influenced the Federalist style). See, I have already been doing some homework! Le Roy Soleil, the French sun king, had his own furniture designed and it is still being manufactured today. The Federalist style was elegant, but without the frilly stuff of a Louis the 14th piece. See example below.

louis-14th-period-ca-1660-ca-1-rare-bureau-mazarin-dit-jasmin-2250975-500-500-2250975-1.jpg

One of the things I intend to include in her curio are tufted, padded interior walls. I have bought an earth brown suede-like material that will line the interior walls. I have never seen this done before, but I think it will soften the exterior patina for a less gaudy appearance. Note the color blend of the cloth with the patina on the exterior.

DSCF1191.jpg

May72012013.jpg

I have ordered the tufting buttons in the photo below.

br875.jpg

Here is some flexible molding I bought to go on the inside of the oval or circle I will cut into the top configuration as well as the arch that terminates the shelf section. The colors won't matter on the exterior as it will all be painted with the patina, and, hopefully, a lot nicer job than the Kansas City curio cabinet.

DSCF1190.jpg

I want it to be personalized as much as possible, so, I am sculpting a profile of her and her husband, facing each other on the upper portion of the cabinet. I plan to use these two photographs in the ghilberti style, similar to flats you see at figure shows. An example of the ghilberti style.

early-ghiberti.jpg

forrestupsized-1.jpg

Gail-Good.jpg

As I reread this, I am starting to sound like an interior decorator. So, just for the record, I'm a devout heterosexual! OK! :D

This will be a first for me, but I feel confident I can pull it off, especially after the china cabinet of last year. I have to order some foam rubber for padding off the Internet as well as some nail buttons for the tufting. I plan on starting it as soon as this damned heat lightens up. I'll be building it in my garage. I'll be posting SBS here as it goes along. It's amazing what a daughter will bring out in you, isn't it?

Bob

Re: Another birthday project.

Glad i've got two boys :gogo

In your "spare" time Bob are you still wearing a cape and mask and fighting the injuctices of the world? :notworthy :notworthy

You put the rest of us to shame :blush:

Kindest regards,

Adrian

Sculpting profiles! :popcorn

Hey son, just because I have never done it, doesn't mean I can't! I like to think of it as a new adventure! (One that I have to finish and that also has a deadline. Groan!

Dad

Eat up James, it will be a long build!

Bob

Glad i've got two boys :gogo

In your "spare" time Bob are you still wearing a cape and mask and fighting the injuctices of the world? :notworthy :notworthy

You put the rest of us to shame :blush:

Kindest regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian,

I gave up crime fighting long ago, just too old these days! :D

I don't put anybody to shame. My only talent is that I was born working hard. I just never stopped and tend to forget I'm retired these days, but I appreciate your kind words. I have a ton of incentive to keep off my butt and get going on this project.

Bob

Gail wasn't clear on what I plan this project to look like. So I made a rough sketch. Chuck, our resident artist I'm not, but here is the sketch.

Cut me some slack, huh? The rough drawings of the profiles are about double the size they will be and I made no attempt to create likenesses. I'll have a go at that with the Milliput!

curiocab.jpg

Bob

Very nice Bob :v I love the tufted fabric. I think the relief portraits is a great idea too. Is the sketch of it full length top to bottom?

Tim

Very nice Bob :v I love the tufted fabric. I think the relief portraits is a great idea too. Is the sketch of it full length top to bottom?

Tim

Hey Tim,

Yeah, it will stand over 7 feet tall and about 30 inches wide. I finally have all the materials and will begin on it soon.

Bob

Nice size. Looking at the sketch I wonder if the base of the cabinet shouldn't be built out as wide as the capital? It might give it a sense of balance.

Heterolsexual Tim :v

Nice size. Looking at the sketch I wonder if the base of the cabinet shouldn't be built out as wide as the capital? It might give it a sense of balance.

Heterolsexual Tim :v

Possibly, I was just going by the one she liked so well. No doubt I will make changes as it goes along. I always do!

Glad you identified yourself there Tim! Hahahaha :D :D :D

Bob

You bet it is Tim!

A short update on the corner curio. It is coming along. I've been very busy lately but managed to get this far.

I have most of the shelving itself cut and beginning to make the basic unit.

DSCF1353.jpg

Here is the unit with the shelves in place.

DSCF1363.jpg

And here is the shelf facing material.

DSCF1366.jpg

More later.

Looking good! What kind of finish are you gonna use?

Terry B)

Looking good! What kind of finish are you gonna use?

Terry B)

Thanks Terry,

I'm going to apply a finish I learned in modeling. A Bronze patina. I got the idea when Gail and I were in Kansas City. She really liked this and I told her I could build a better one. It won't look much like this but will have a similar finish.

May72012014-1.jpg

May72012013-3.jpg

Interesting! I look forward to seeing it all come together. (y)

Thanks guys,

I know it doesn't look like much at the moment, but I think that will change over the next month or so. I hope it will!

Bob

I am ashamed of my self for not reading any of your forum before Bob. You are an artisan in every sense of the word. I have not gone quite as far as you did in your previous works but I did make a bowl and lamp stand in shop class about 40 years ago.

Thanks Paul,

I can't emphasize enough the reality of experience. I began my modeling career in 1945. That was 67 years ago. I have no doubts that I have built far more models than any member on this site. My mother and father were both artists so I had a little head start but experience is a really big deal!

When I have done something for 67 years and I'm still not very good at it, maybe I should think about doing something else! :yipee

Bob

Back