• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Aussie Mirage IIIO 77 Sqn (FINISHED)

helios

The package showed up a day early. :frantic

So it's official...I'm in. Now to see if I can get it done before the end of January.

Aussie Mirage III - 1/48 Kinetic

Nice choice !!! I must get some done, I like this ribbon, I'll be watching this one ... Excellent bird ... :pilot

Yeah, this ribbon looks friggin' awesome. (y) to whomever designed it.

I just hope I didn't bite off more than I can chew. On the flip side, this one will be largely an OOB build as I likely won't have the required time to order in an AM bits. But we'll see...I've done stupider things in the past. :rotf

But first things first...I need to get the SR-71 wrapped up before I get too involved with this one. Fortunately I've got 10 days off coming up the week of Christmas, and I'm not doing any traveling, so hopefully I can get a good head start leading into the first of the year.

With the Blackbird out of the way, it's full speed ahead on the Aussie Mirage. With a bit of luck I'll have something to post by the end of the weekend.

Good luck on this one I was going to do one for this in honor of my friends down under but, I couldn't find a kit I liked and have too much on my plate at the moment, I'll just hide and watch from afar ... :popcorn

Cheers - Gerry

Got the pit finished up. First time experimenting w/ masking tape for seat belts. Turned out alright. Certainly better than the complete lack of detail that would have otherwise been there.

DSCF0560.JPG

DSCF0564.JPG

35 days to go.

This is the first Kinetic kit I've built...and I have to say, for the price point, I'm a bit let down. The detail is decent, but the finish quality of the parts is far less than what I would expect from a $50+ kit. :(

This one is progressing slower than I was hoping due to the amount of clean up work that is needing to be done. I've probably got 10+ hours into the cockpit alone. Literally every piece has needed flash cleaned off, mold seams sanded down, voids filled, or excess material removed... I opted for this kit as I was hoping for a fairly straight-forward OOB build due to time constraints for the campaign. Ah well, nothing worthwhile is easy, right? :laugh:

Not giving up on it, just venting a little. I'm excited about the campaign. I like my subject material. Things just aren't going as smoothly as I was hoping for. Sometimes I wonder if I'm setting standards for myself that are too high. Time will tell. More to come in the coming weeks.

Tonight's task...clean up and get some definition back into the exhaust nozzle. Probably and hour's worth of work so far. We'll see how it looks with some paint. It was pretty sorry to begin with...hell, the 2 parts wouldn't even mate up at the start. :bang head

DSCF0567.JPG

I have four Mirage III's & F1's in the stash, but looking at this build, I'm starting to think that maybe five is a better number... :hmmm

Ian.

I have four Mirage III's & F1's in the stash, but looking at this build, I'm starting to think that maybe five is a better number... :hmmm

Ian.

The best number is always current +1, right? :idonno

The question is, do you have an E or O? Cs you can find all day long, but the selection of kits for the Es is pretty limited. In all reality if you could get the kit on sale, it wouldn't be too bad. My biggest gripe is just that the finished parts out of the mold are a bit messy for a $60 MSRP kit. If you could grab one for $30 or so, it wouldn't be a bad deal. Unfortunately due to the time crunch of the campaign, waiting around for a sale wasn't an option.

I think the end result will be alright...I'm just a little nervous about being able to finish in time. Hell, I'm looking forward to seeing it in the flesh. :laugh:

And I'm calling it a night. It's starting to look like an aircraft now. The exhaust nozzle turned out alright. Passable for this go around. Fitting up the forward intakes are going to be...interesting. I'm also going to need to do a little putty work on the cockpit dash shroud.

DSCF0573.JPG

DSCF0574.JPG

DSCF0575.JPG

Back