• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Modulation experiment * * D O N E * *

ij001

Mentioned in the M18 thread that I was going to try a new direction - German AFV's. I've watched a few tutorials on YouTube and read some articles, and here is 'my version':

h46235f6.jpg

hb4b9a06.jpg

Straight Tamiya flat black as an undercoat.

hfc51f3c.jpg

h861f819.jpg

My own Panzer Grey cocktail - 3 parts matt black, two parts XF63 'German Grey' and two parts X4 blue.

hb7a6dac.jpg

h04b0e31.jpg

Next I added the [above] basic tone I first added 2 parts XF53 'Neutral Grey' and sprayed all the upper hull & turret a light coat, same on the sides but fading out as I got lower down. Then to that previous mix I added a half-part X14 Light Blue and two parts XF66 Light Grey. this was sprayed only on the upper hull and turret roof, some panels masked, some free-handed.

h09252e1.jpg

h917eb05.jpg

Finally I hand brushed XF53 Neutral Grey straight from the jar on to the high-points. I know this looks incredibly false just now, but under a couple of filter coats, a wash or two and later weathering it will calm right down... I hope :frantic .

So PLEASE please give me some feedback, for this one I'll need all the help & advice you can give.

AFN

Ian.

Modulation experiment - Panzer IV

Looking forward to how this turns out.

The last two photos look like the tank's wearing a panzer uniform. :D

What did you plan next? Is the next modulation more gray? The panzer gray showed a huge amount of dust where the later Dunkelgelb did not. You are really looking good on this.

While I think this will give you a good result, I don't think what you have is modulation. To me it looks more like some post shading and forced highlights. Not a bad thing, I have used a similar style, its just not modulation! For modulation you need more well defined directionally coherent gradation of color. HTH

Whatever the method is called that you are using, it looks pretty good. The last brushing of the lighter grey really stands out, but like you said, with washes and filters it will hopefully tone it down a bit. I think that toned down it will look fine.

Cheers,
James

While I think this will give you a good result, I don't think what you have is modulation. To me it looks more like some post shading and forced highlights. Not a bad thing, I have used a similar style, its just not modulation! For modulation you need more well defined directionally coherent gradation of color. HTH

Yep I believe you're right, John, think I somehow ended-up somewhere in the middle ground. No matter I'll push-on and see where it leads. Going to do a little more today (real-life permitting) maybe just add a brown based and then a grey based filter - or 'dirty varnish' as I call it !!

Thanks everyone for the comments, please keep 'em coming. :v

Ian.

A medium grey filter followed by two medium brown filters (or 'dirty varnish' as I call it). Starting to calm-down now. Will leave it alone over the weekend and early next week, I'll apply a dark pin-wash.

h6f5652b.jpg

h97cf6e1.jpg

Comments and suggestions encouraged.

Ian.

Moving-on with the same pin-wash that I used on the Tiger - come to think of it, I also used the same chipping style !!

h63f5247.jpg

h522b9f7.jpg

Sponge chipping and oil filter streaks to come next week, again same as the Tiger.

Ian.

Moving-on with the same pin-wash that I used on the Tiger - come to think of it, I also used the same chipping style !!

h63f5247_2017-08-31.jpg

h522b9f7_2017-08-31.jpg

Sponge chipping and oil filter streaks to come next week, again same as the Tiger.

Ian.

Tamiya flat coat straight from the rattle-can. Another first and now ready for the oil-dot filter next week.

h9a7e9b7.jpg

h30b10bc.jpg

Have a great weekend everyone.

Ian.

wow this is neat work! This should be umm..."pinned" or whatever for peeps like me to use as reference!

Seriously, I will soon be working on either a DDR Tamiya T-72 or a US Tamiya M5 Stuart as 'training' fr this very technique!

Modulation experiment - Redux

Three weeks ago I bought a Tamiya Cromwell (new (second) job so treated m'self). Built it right outta da box in about six hours. At the same time I ordered a whole bunch of new (to me) Mig acrylics straight from Snr. Jimmenez in Espana.

Long story short I set about painting it in short bursts, and, well...

hce08b5f.jpg

h57d20a2.jpg

h36682ea.jpg

h3305152.jpg

hf683f86.jpg

h56b4d04.jpg

Going to simply go-ahead and say it: after last years failed 'modulation experiment' with the Panzer IV, think this wee thing has come-out a LOT nearer what I was trying to achieve. Please, PLEASE leave me some thoughts and feedback, really want to know what you guys think.

Thanks in advance.

Ian.

Modulation experiment - Redux

Nice. (y)

It is looking like your getting more control with your paint application

:popcorn

Back