• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya Famo Sd Ah 116 trailer and DML Panzer 3

mike walsh

Master at Arms
Hello ,

Here is a build I have been working on and off for the last couple of years and I am finally giving this all my attention to complete in 2014.The Famo and trailer is a rather well engineered model by Tamiya and it was a pleasure of a build.
All items are built in sub sections for ease of painting. The real work begins with a near fully detailed Panzer 3 on the trailer.
The VP engine and interior sets have been used to deck the recently released DML Panzer 3 F out.
The interior colours have been based on some research done from here
http://byrden.com/panzers/Colours/index.html

The panzer will have the turret and engine hatches open and I’m still undecided as which figures will be used to bring the models to life .
The Panzer 3 will have Voyager etch Fenders, Aber exterior etch ,Et model tool clamps and Fruil track.
The famo and trailer will be built out of the box with minor inclusions of Archer decals for the instrument panel and etch vehicle width markers.

Michael

Wow! Look at all that stuff! Quite a project there, nice work so far.

I would suggest getting resin replacements for the wheels and tires, as I
have seen firsthand the vinyl tires disintegrate over time.

Tank Workshop makes a nice set.

Tom

Thanks Guys

Tom,
I had been looking at the resin tyres . The weathering of the kit tyres will be the decider whether I go the resin version or stick with the plastic one .'The dragon wagon tyres in the image below have been on for 10 years and have performed well ,ie: no cracking .

Bob, The board is ready all we have to do is get the famo on there
The famo is way bigger than the M26 Dragon wagon . :)

Working on the panzer 3 etch fenders now . I have not done this style before so here begins the challenge .

Cheers
Michael

I have been flirting with the idea of buying that kit myself - so far I have resisted temptation. Saw a few models at expos, they really look great. Looking forward to seeing yours, looks like that Panzer is going to be a super job :popcorn (y) :D

What an impressive build this is going to be,so many facets,so much room for super detailing,looking forward to seeing it done

Thanks Guys for the kind words .

White wolf
Build the Famo out of the box, it's a project and a half ,honestly there is not too much to refine on this vehicle .
The width indicators and Archer transfers for the dials in the dash.I think with a large model like the Famo the detail would be lost due to it's shear size .

James,
Your reading my mind , I will be getting the M19 as well. We also need a Scammell in plastic from one of the model makers like Bronco or Miniart and we have covered the main recovery vehicles for WW2

Don't forget once we get the WW2 recovery vehicles out of the way we then move onto the modern stuff :hmmm :woohoo:

:v
Michael :)

Well deserved Mike.

I get an error message on that link, not allowed to see it or something. If you could post the pic here would be great. Looks like you're in Brizzy, that right?

Cheers,
Laurence

Good work Mike!

That is quite a project.
I have one in the stash as well. I'm waiting for the day when my modeling skills are worthy of the model's glory.
I hope I get there. :( :laugh:

Keep at it, and keep us posted.

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks Bill and Lawrence.

Bill,
It's a nice kit to build you should give the Famo a go. The hardest part nowadays is staying focused on 1 model and not get side tracked with all the new kits released into the market .

Lawrence,

Yep in Brissy

Try this page and then look at the axis half tracks

http://www.ammsbrisbane.com/home.html

There is a couple done by our club members and they are all pretty good.

The 1 with the panzer 4 is the highlight

Michael

Hello again,

Well after 4+ months getting side tracked on a Mirror Models Diamond T969 wrecker I'm back on working on the famo project.
The wrecker was a challenge of a build ,it's not a shake and bake kit .
Here are a couple of images to show how much time was lost :beer
Link here
http://pnp.li/3hcz

After some deliberation I decided to correct the interior of the panzer 3 and use the new Ammo paints and thinner. This is a new avenue for me as I like using Life colour and enamel paints .
There was very little in the way of paint and thinner to put into the airbrush .
A couple of drops of paint and 1-2 drops of thinner.
here is the result

I'm looking forward to using the german grey as the base.

Now back onto the etch fenders :(

Michael :)

Back